1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trouble turning my GX-1 on

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Papadoc, May 26, 2014.

1. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    I used my GX-1 to take some Memorial Day portraits at the family gathering. Took the pics and posted a few on Facebook. But when I tried to upload them to LR I couldn't turn the camera on. Checked the battery. Switched it for the fully charged spare. Nothing. The On-Off switch feels normal, as does the function wheel it's attached to, but when I move the switch to "On", nothing happens. Anyone have any trouble with the GX-1 this way? I sure don't want to have to box it up and send it off for repairs, but it looks like that's what I need to do. Any help is appreciated. I've had the camera two years, with very careful handling and no exposure to any corrosives or water.

2. Suktron

Suktron New to Mu-43

Sep 3, 2012
    Mine plays up like that also. Iin my case it seems to be related to the battery contacts (or rather lack of contact). I say that because when I push on the battery before closing the hatch it seems to make a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

3. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    Thanks for the quick reply Suktron. I suspect that may be the case for me as well, but no amount of manipulation, pushing or replacing seems to make a difference.

4. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    I guess I'll pack it up and send it to service. Unless someone has a better idea on this . Anyone ?

5. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    Update--Panasonic service center called and told me the camera was repaired and ready for return. I asked what the problem was, expecting to hear that the switch was replaced or the software re-installed. But she told me a wire had come loose under the "dent in the front casing". Dent?! I've never dropped the camera, but apparently during the Memorial Day party someone did. (I still did not see the dent while I was trying to fix it myself. I know, don't quit my day job.) Total expense $67. Total time without the camera, less than two weeks. What did I learn? Panasonic apparently has a great service department; I should never leave my camera out and unattended, even at my own house-parties; and I am not a reliable camera repairman.

• Like Like x 1
  6. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    Without an evidentiary photo of the "dent", this entire episode "never happened"!

Was this a true "dent" or possibly just a minor "crease".

Inquiring minds need to know.

dp

7. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    Got the camera back in great shape. But there is no dent anywhere on it. Anywhere. So I conclude one of three things: 1. They fixed said dent so well that I cannot see it, or 2. I am still the world's worst camera repair person and simply cannot see the obvious, or 3. There never was a dent and they fixed something else which they would rather keep secret. Oh well, glad to have it back. Service was fast and it only cost me $67 and that without warranty. Can't complain, but it is curious.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zucchiniboy

zucchiniboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    San Francisco
    Thanks for sharing your Panasonic repair experience! Good to know should the same issue befall my GX1.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43