Trouble installing PS Elements 2019 on my new PC

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I wanted to use PS Elements again today and went to Adobe and downloaded setup program (I had registered the product so the correct version was in my account).
But when I try to install it complains about my PC not being updated (according to Windows update I have the latest updates) or that my browser is to old.
I am using Firefox mostly and that is up to date, I also have Microsoft Edge installed and that is also up to date.
So does anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

I have a nagging suspicion that Adobe wants me to update to their latest version and pay them for it!

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
I wanted to use PS Elements again today and went to Adobe and downloaded setup program (I had registered the product so the correct version was in my account).
But when I try to install it complains about my PC not being updated (according to Windows update I have the latest updates) or that my browser is to old.
I am using Firefox mostly and that is up to date, I also have Microsoft Edge installed and that is also up to date.
So does anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

I have a nagging suspicion that Adobe wants me to update to their latest version and pay them for it!
Have you try an offline installer?

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I have finally contacted the support and spent almost an hour with them to be able to install PSE 2019 on my new PC!
First I had to get trough the robot, that was quick! ;) (Just be obscure in your answers!)

Then second line support, that after a few minutes kicked my errand up to the next tier because probably they didn't know enough.

So third line support spent almost an hour with me before I had managed to install and activate the product that I already owned and had installed on my old PC (Now decommissioned!).

First they sent me to the same download page I had already used, so no luck!
Then another one with the same results.
I think I had download 4 or 5 different packages before it finally worked.

In the process the support person asked me to allow him/her/it to access my computer to solve it, I refused!

When I had finally managed to install the SW, I got the same message about needing to upgrade Windows and browser I got from the beginning!
So new installation of Creative Cloud was needed, and the I had to start install of the PSE 2021 package but that somehow installed the PSE 2019!
So now it seemed like I had it finally installed, now to activate it, put in the license key and it complained about no internet connection! I was still in the chat with the support so my connection obviously worked! Tried a couple of times and finally got beyond that message and PSE seemed to work, I could open a picture in in it!

Now the support says that I have not activated the SW!
So support told me to do the same thing again and I said ENOUGH!

If the SW is not activated and I am really on a trial it will show in time!

This experience with Adobe has not endeared them to me! The support was OK, the person really tried to help, but having to go to the support for installing a SW you have bought is totally bogus!

I guess I will have to learn Gimp!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Try Affinity Photo. Relatively cheap, powerful, and not subscription based. I bought a copy 2 years ago and it's still getting the latest updates.
Since I use DxO PL4 for most processing, I want something that can handle those situations where you have to extend the canvas (creating a border) or have really good removal tool.
Is Affinity good at that?

I see that it has HDR merge, Focus stacking and Panorama stitching, seems very useful!

I will download the free trial in the coming weekend, (why waste the free trial time in the week when I will not use it?), and see how I will like it.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Since I use DxO PL4 for most processing, I want something that can handle those situations where you have to extend the canvas (creating a border) or have really good removal tool.
Is Affinity good at that?

I see that it has HDR merge, Focus stacking and Panorama stitching, seems very useful!

I will download the free trial in the coming weekend, (why waste the free trial time in the week when I will not use it?), and see how I will like it.
Yeah, give the free trial a go. There are a lot of tutorial videos made by the developer as well. Also, if you have an iPad, the iPad app is almost just as powerful and capable. There’s definitely a learning curve, but with great power comes great responsibility!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Yeah, give the free trial a go. There are a lot of tutorial videos made by the developer as well. Also, if you have an iPad, the iPad app is almost just as powerful and capable. There’s definitely a learning curve, but with great power comes great responsibility!
I already downloaded, just impatient I guess! I hope the free 90 day trial is still in place!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Sh*t, only a 10 day trial!

But it is only 649 SEK (~$75) for a license, so I will try and maybe buy.
I could only see Swedish prices, do anyone know prices in the US? (I will pay the Swedish price but would be interesting to know).

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Sh*t, only a 10 day trial!

But it is only 649 SEK (~$75) for a license, so I will try and maybe buy.
I could only see Swedish prices, do anyone know prices in the US? (I will pay the Swedish price but would be interesting to know).
They run sales quite often. I think I might have paid $50 for it. Maybe even less. Also, I believe they allow installing on more than one PC. That might not mean much to you if you only plan to use it on one, but nice to have.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Currently $55 state side. I do recommend buying it straight from Serif and not in one of the App stores (macOS or Windows), as those are tied to that platform. I bought from Serif and I’ve had no trouble using my key on macOS or Windows when I’ve changed platforms. Still has to be within the install limits, but it’s another pro.

Also, your trial may not start until you actually install the program. That’s usually when the timer begins.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Currently $55 state side. I do recommend buying it straight from Serif and not in one of the App stores (macOS or Windows), as those are tied to that platform. I bought from Serif and I’ve had no trouble using my key on macOS or Windows when I’ve changed platforms. Still has to be within the install limits, but it’s another pro.

Also, your trial may not start until you actually install the program. That’s usually when the timer begins.
I actually already have installed the program, it was when I started it I got the info about 10 day trial, so I didn't press the "Start Trial" button, it will have to wait until the weekend.
I'll report back about my findings.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I agree with the idea of switching the Affinity Photo (AP) instead of Photoshop Elements; it almost seems like a no-brainer to me.

From my experience with it, it can extend the canvas.

There are MANY YouTube videos on how to use AP, so there's a lot of info out there. Just as an example, I established a thread on this forum describing how I used AP to make useful some HDR photos I took in Zion National park. Up till now, the moving leaves in the HDR results made it look like hell, but using AP's pretty robust HDR stacking and editing tools, you can easily go thru such an image and pick ONE source in the stack to use for the offending area and remove the ghosting. The video is here:

YouTube HDR ghost removal

The thread is here: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/hdr-in-affinity-photo-removing-ghosts.111332/

I think it gives a god idea of how well-designed AP is with regard to its levels and stacking.

This is not to say it is perfect. It still has some growing pains; the main problem seems to be that sometimes it is easy to do difficult things in it (like that HD ghost removal), but difficult to do easy things. For example, just trying to square a photo of a rectangular object (like a painting) that was taken a little out-of-square can be very difficult, trying to use AP's more robust perspective tools to do this simple task. I usually use the NIK Perspective plugin or Corel PaintShop Pro for this, where it is amazingly easy (the way it should be!).

I am switching over from Corel PaintShop Pro, which I have used for at least 20 years, to AP, so that tells you a lot. And I've always considered PSP a much stronger program than Elements.

Had same issue with Lightroom 6 which I had purchased. I have no need for PS so sub model was not for me. When LR stops working i'll learn something new.

anyway - I had was very unlucky and had to do new installs in about two or three years because of issues with laptops.

I found that all the links just led to more blind ends and had to open some sort of chat/complaint thing, They eventually provided me with the download link, but it was quite a strenuous process to obtain it.

I wish I knew how to save a copy to USB, in case I ever have to set up another laptop.

Good luck.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks @mcgillro!
I think we are lucky now as we have good alternatives to Adobe.
So we can vote with our money and use something else when that BIG company tries to force us into their subscription plans or upgrade.
I think other smaller companies look at what people say about Adobe and say OK, let us not do that mistake!
I will try out Affinity Photo this weekend and the coming week.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
Had same issue with Lightroom 6 which I had purchased. I have no need for PS so sub model was not for me. When LR stops working i'll learn something new.

anyway - I had was very unlucky and had to do new installs in about two or three years because of issues with laptops.

I found that all the links just led to more blind ends and had to open some sort of chat/complaint thing, They eventually provided me with the download link, but it was quite a strenuous process to obtain it.

I wish I knew how to save a copy to USB, in case I ever have to set up another laptop.

Good luck.
Just save the installer file you downloaded. It should work any time you need it. I saved both the Mac and Windows installers for 6.14, and that‘s what I used to do. The real concern to me is, will it still activate? That requires a connection to Adobe, and will they stop supporting activations on old software? I sure hope not.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom