Trouble downloading pics from E-M5 to iPhoto

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mbbinvt, May 9, 2013.

1. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    This afternoon, iPhoto suddenly stopped recognizing photos on my E-M5. I used it earlier today to import with no trouble, but now, nothing. iPhoto recognizes the camera when I plug it in and select MTP from the USB menu, but it says "No photos."

Here's what I tried:
    Updating all Mac software (there was only a Safari and security update to do)
    Restarting the computer and replugging in the wires
    Reformatting the SD card, reshooting the images and then attempting to import photos

None of this has worked. Not sure why my computer is acting out.

Any suggestions!
  2. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Odd wrinkle

Update: I tried using a different SD card to see if there was something wrong with the one I had been using. I took a couple of photos of a watch on my desk and then hooked my camera up to iPhoto. When I made the connection, iPhoto could see the old photos on the SC card but not the newest shots of the watch.

The watch photos are definitely on the SD card--I can review them on my camera and see them when I open Image Capture, it's just that iPhoto can't see them. How strange!

Anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?
  3. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    are you on 10.8 (mountain lion)? there seems to be some issues with MTP mode. I don't know if there is a pref file or cache to reset, but there doesn't seem to be a quick fix. You can switch to Mass Storage mode instead and manually import the files with Finder, for now.
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    What Mac are you using, does it have a built in SD card reader?
  5. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Sorry not to have said originally. I'm on a 5- year-old iMac running Mountain Lion 10.6.8. No SD card slot, alas. At the moment I'm using Image Capture to import to iPhoto, which, oddly, seems much faster than just importing straight into iPhoto.
  6. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    If you can see them in Image Capture then I would just select them there, pick iPhoto at the bottom as the import destination, and then import via Image Capture. I had enough issues with iPhoto in the past I just switched to importing only from Image Capture.
  7. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I'm a Mac user from way back and I learned (the hard way) to quit using iPhoto for serious photography. Got Lightroom and never looked back. Now I use iPhoto only for shots taken w/iPhone or iPad - these go to the cloud then I import them from there into iPhoto.
    All other shots go into Lightroom - much friendlier and more flexible, and more powerful.