Tripods

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by OzRay, Mar 22, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I could talk myself stupid about tripods and what's needed and what's practical, and still not convince most to see the light. So it's good to once again see someone that has some cred, expressing something much to my heart. The first link is to a somewhat old post and the second to a newer one. For those who wonder what to spend on a tripod, read both posts carefully and then do so again, in case you happened to skip some important parts.

http://www.bythom.com/support.htm

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/03/most-powerful-light-in-your-bag.html

Seriously, consider spending as much, even more, on a tripod and head, as you would on a favourite lens.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 2
  2. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    Thanks for the links. I agree completely, though you don't need to spend that much - I picked up a (lightly) used Manfrotto 190ProB and one of their smaller ball heads for about £100 and it's great for m4/3s cameras and not so heavy as to be a burden when carrying it about.

I always take the tripod if I'm going out specifically to take photos, as it's the best way to ensure sharp shake-free shots. OIS and IBIS are useful but they're not going to eliminate the need for a tripod.

3. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    For my studio work I have a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod with a Manfrotto trigger, makes live simple, but god is it heavy!.

For m4/3 work, I often pack everything into a "normal" small rucksack as I am normally urbexing and need to stand out as little as possible, which is when I discovered this gem of a tripod - the Manfrotto 785SHB. Folds down VERY small to go inside a small backpack.

It sturdy enough to support the m4/3 format, not the cheapest, but its surprisingly sturdy.

http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~8385~categoryid~149.html

Comes with a quick release plate, so easy enough to remove.

4. AlanT

AlanT Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2010
    Perth, Scotland
    I had come across the 785SHB recently and was quite intrigued. Looking at the specifications, my current tripod/head combination is about 2.26kg and the 785SHB is only 870g, not to mention the difference in size when folded down. This may be a potential future purchase...

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I cant stress the point of those two articles either - as an enthusiast you certainly don't need to get the absolute top of the line, but for the price of a mid-range lens you can get a very nice setup that will last a lifetime. I didn't want to spend on gitzo CF legs, but found the Basalt legs they offer to be a good compromise on price while adding some weight (about 1lb) and just being an overall pleasure to use! A good ballhead is just as important (or a geared head if you are so inclined). A head from Markins, Arca, RRS or in my case photoclam is so easy to use with the friction control knobs they operate very smoothly, without the typical post ball-lock droop you find on heads with no friction control.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Just Sniped a Manfrotto 190X PROB Tripod with 804RC2 Head on eBay

.. for $142.51!!!!!! Very lightly used.

Not a bad starter kit. No Gitzo Basalt, but we'll get there eventually.

Bokeh Diem