Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by jpcairns, Nov 21, 2012.

1. jpcairns

jpcairns Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey everyone,

I'm wondering if any of you know any good tripods that can be had for under $100 (I'm always looking for used, so if it can be found for under $100 used I'm all in!).

It will need to support a mirrorless camera on the indislider mini when it is at either end... the leverage will surely add a bit of strain, but that is also offset as it will be a light camera as opposed to a DSLR. any suggestions? Thanks!
  2. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Manfrotto (Bogen) has always been a favorite of mine. Most photogs are using carbon fiber or some such lightweight material today vs aluminum.
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

As with most things - you get what you pay for. However there are some nice tripods that can be had for under $100. The three best economy brands that I know of are Manfrotto sold through Bogen, Slik and Vanguard.

The type of head you want will dictate some of the price as the nicer heads are more expensive. I have had some cheap sticks and the heads were horrible!{even when the legs were OK} They were very hard to adjust and wore out and started slipping.

I personally have a Vanguard Alta Pro with a ball head and love it! Both the sticks and head were higher grade but together they cost me less than $200. I know that Vanguard has at least one or two models that are good at the $100 mark.

I have used Manfrotto sticks before and they are good but their cheaper heads are not the best. Some of the cheaper Slik models are crap but others near your $100 limit are nice enough{from what I have seen in the stores - never used one personally}.
  4. jime

jime Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2012
    Jonestown Texas
    I have an Induro AKB0 for $140 at amazon. Really like it. Grat ball head and quick release, not too heavy. Easily holds my d5100 with 18-200 lens so no problem with my EPL1.