1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod with Multi-Angle Positionable Center Column?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Harvey Melvin Richards, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I need another tripod, one that is especially suited to macro photography. I like versatility of having a multi-angle positionable center column. I'm not too concerned with weight (within reason). My budget is $400 to $600. I would also like at least 60" total height. Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. EMC

EMC Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Garden Grove, Calif.
    Eddie
    • Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I have the Aluminum version of it and very happy with it. Feels light to me as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you also going to be buying rails to use for your macro work? If so, then you need to factor this into your budget. And do you have a ballhead already? You might consider a Manfrotto 055 series tripod, a PhotoClam or Sirui ballhead and rails from Kirk. This will keep you close to your budget.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I'm using the 055Pro and it is certainly a sturdy unit. I picked it up on a black friday sale for not a lot over $150. I was very pleased.

• Like Like x 1
  8. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Here's another user of the Manfrotto 055. I did look hard at the Vanguard and Benro tripods, though. You probably can't go wrong with any of them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Thanks everyone. So far I'm liking all the tripods mentioned. Now I need to narrow it down to one. I do need an Arca compatible ballhead, but I can swipe the one on my current tripod if needed.

I have a couple of re-purposed macro rails. I haven't used them yet because I can't get my current tripod close enough to have them work. And I need more sedentary bugs.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken

You are not kidding! And a few less windy days whent he flowers are in bloom. I was once advised to photograph as early as possible in the morning before the thermal effects impact the winds. And, my wife still threatens to buy me a Plamp when she sees me standing there in frustration as the flower heads move back and forth. I was seriously considering some rails, but opted to pick up a very nice table top setup to compliment my main tripod. My wife tends to cut a lot of flowers for the house, so this arrangement works reasonably well.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Like several others here I have a Vanguard Alta Pro and I like it. I am not a huge fan of the Vanguard ball head I have on it now, the lock and tension knobs are too similar, I often grab the wrong one.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    • Like Like x 2
  14. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Another series to consider are the Benbo tripods: http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm

These are very flexible tripods which allow the legs to be positioned at a wide range of angles in addition to having a wide positioning range for the center column. Another rather nice feature is that the lower leg section is the outside section. This means that when it is places in dirt and/or water that grunge doesn't get dragged into the leg system when collapsed. It stays on the outside where it can be cleaned later.

15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah