1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod theme......

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by silver92b, Mar 7, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I have a few tripods, most are junky but even the best one I have is not fun at all to use. It's a Quantaray QSX 9502. It's fairly sturdy although not too compact or light and it does extend high enough for me.

The problem is the head. It swivels on a horizontal axis and tilts in 2 directions. However, the lever that tilts the camera in the most likely way that I use it is completely in the way!:mad: The damned lever wont let me get close enough to the camera to look through the view finder without a lot of contortions. In other words, it sucks.

I would like to get a more usable tripod, but I don't want to drop a lot of money on a Pro item (I'm after all, an amateur). Anyway, what kind of tripod are there that would work best for our OM-D cameras?

tripod2.

tripod1.

2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I found this tripod while looking for step up filter adapters...
    Looks interesting, but I have no idea what it will really be like....

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    check to see if the head is replaceable on your tripod. it has a pan & tilt head, and it sounds like you would be better served by a ball head. as long as the head is removable, you should be able to replace it with almost any brand - there are only two versions i've heard of the standard mounting bolt.

5. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    for larger gear I have a nice Gitzo Explorer pod, but for m43, the tripod that I actually love to use is this little cheapo:

Amazon.com: Benro A-150EXU Digital Tripod Kit (Black): Camera & Photo

right size, right features, works great with m43. first time in my life that I actually enjoyed using a tripod!

These are some night shots I took out in high winds. Tripod was stable enough for these multi-minute exposures.

Sutro Baths – Night | Mark Hahn Photography

One of the best things I like about m43 is that I can shoot a little tripod.

Best!

6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  7. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
  8. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Oh yeah, and the best part of using a tripod with m43 gear is that you compose on the LCD, not through an E/VF! God! Back when I did film macro work requiring a tripod and having to look through the VF and make my adjustments, hated it! Horrible!

Still, you want to be using a ballhead, not some hybrid pan/tilt head.

9. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
  10. dlew

dlew Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    So-Cal
    Dennis
    May I suggest Dolica Proline. sturdy and has ballhead and removable plate. different sizes and decent prices. good selection via Amazon.

11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
  12. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I want one tripod for travel.

I am thinking for sirui t-005K. What is your pinion for this ;;;.

Thx a lot....

13. gs94121

gs94121 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2011
    FYI: Just bought Benro A150EXU tripod from Adorama just moments ago and this will be very helpful to my m43 digital camera.

14. mh2000

mh2000 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hope the little Benro works out for you! It's the minimal tripod, but it does everything right for me... and I have used much better in the past. You don't want to compare it to RRS etc., but it never seems to get in the way of what I want to do.

Post some photos after you start using it!

I've found that my photos are significantly better when shot on this tripod... IS is nice, but a tripod is always better!

15. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for all the suggestions Those Benro tripods look really nice! After looking at those I got an idea. I had this old Bogen ballhead laying around and I thought I'd see what I could do... I removed the lowest base and it got smaller and lighter. Then I looked at one of my other tripods, and sure enough, it looks like the ball head fits nicely over the quick release plate! Tomorrow I will drill and tap the cast aluminum base of the ball head and screw the tripod's quick release plate to the bottom of it. Here is what it might look like after I finish modifying things and putting them together. The nice thing is that if it works, I just saved myself nearly $100! That might pay for the 50mm f1.4 Cannon FD lens I just picked up from ebay :wink:

tripod-1.

tripod-2.

ballhd-1.

ballhd-2.

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Turn the camera 180 degrees so the handle goes to the front? I sometimes do that with my TiltAll.

17. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I love the ingenuity with the Franken-pod. I'd be a little concerned about stability given all the extraneous connections and adjustments, but if it works for you, that's all that matters.

I also appreciate that you've already re-invested your "savings". :wink:

18. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I can do that and have tried it. Unfortunately, it kind of defeats the ability to tilt the camera... It's difficult to use the tilting plate and it can only tilt up....

Good points. I considered the awkwardness of the setup but on initial thought I figured to just lock up the unneeded adjustments. The franken-pod (love the name :wink:) is a bit taller than the original quick release, but I can't see a simpler, non-destructive way to adapt the ball head to the center column.... Of course, that was late last night. I'll have a closer look at it today. After all, I never use that tripod any more. It would not be a huge tragedy to modify it radically :thumbup:

BTW, here are the savings :wink:

omd-50mmf1.4.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Has anyone seen or had actual experience with the meFOTO tripods? I am not interested in another tripod but I am curious about the meFOTO's.

20. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Frankenball in action

OK, after a couple of hours in the garage finding a piece of aluminum, cutting, filing and shaping to suit, and drilling and tapping holes in the ball mount base, I finally modified it to attach to the quick release plate of my tripod.

I kind of works, in that it all goes together, the camera mounts, etc. The problem is that the whole thing is too tall and the locking/unlocking of the ball release are not very easy :frown:. I will probably work for messing around the house and the yard, but it's not ideal. I will probably have to bite the bullet and buy yet another tripod :rolleyes:

frankenball2.