Tripod Review: Slik Sprint

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by oris642, Apr 2, 2010.

1. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

This is a review of a Slik Sprint tripod. I think this model is no longer made, as it is not listed anymore on www.slik.com . The newer model is the Slik Sprint Mini II:
    http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-sprint-mini-2-a.html .

The Slik Sprint weighs about 2 pounds (.86kg) and is 455mm (18") long when collapsed. Extended it's 1.305 meters (51 3/8") tall without raising the centre column and 1.605 meters tall ( 63") with the centre column raised to its maximum height.

The four leg sections contains magnesium for light weight and strength. Legs start at 20mm diameter and go down to 11mm diameter.

There is no spec as to what weight camera it can handle but it should easily handle any micro 4/3rds camera. I tried it with my G1 and the 45-200 lens with no problems.

• Like Like x 4
  2. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

One nice feature is the feet. You can screw the rubber pads up or down (see photo) to use either the rubber or the built-in spikes. The pros are you don't have to fiddle with attaching optional spikes, like I have to do with my Feisol tripod, nor worry about losing them (which I have done!). The cons are you can damage a floor if you forget to change to "rubber", and you might not be able to carry it onboard an airplane due to the spikes (I can see the headline in The Onion: "Man Hijacks Aircraft With Unregistered Tripod....").
    If you shoot mostly landscape, like I do, you might find the spikes very useful in securing the already skinny legs firmly into terra firma.

The ballhead is of all metal construction with a top contact plate of 40mm (1 5/8") diameter with the 1/4" tripod screw in the middle. One can remove the ballhead to put an aftermarket one on.

The new Slik Sprint Mini II is shorter (14") but reaches only 43" (1.1 meters) in height. The new one has foam leg wraps. It also has adjustable leg angles and a tripod head with a built-in removeable mounting plate. It's also a bit lighter at only 780 grams. It is rated for a load of 4.5 pounds (2.05 Kg). I suspect the Slik Sprint has a similar load rating, since it has the same leg diameter.

Summary: this Slik Sprint is a light, compact tripod for those that need the height, value the spikes, and don't need a mounting plate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    I am pretty certain the spikes are no longer supplied. I have the Sprint Pro GM II and it just has push on rubber feet.

Carrying any reasonable size tripod on a plane can be a bit iffy as some declare that it would make a handy blunt object (even without the spikes).