1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Tripod Needed

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by beanedsprout, May 7, 2013.

1. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Looking for something that is compatible with the Arca-Swiss standard, and not a million dollars. I'm a broke college student after all. Sub $200 is ideal, preferably more than $200 new but less than $200 used. Lightweight is better.

I tried looking around on B&H for ideas but some of the companies that have the quick release mount aren't mentioned in the menus so I can't find their stuff.

Anyone have any ideas of a good tripod for me? I'm totally beginner/amateur.

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I've just ordered a Benro MeFoto Transfunctional Travel Tripod, they're light and they fold small which should fit in well with my Micro 4/3rds gear. RRP is a over $200 but they're available on eBay for less than $200. I wanted something smaller and lighter than the Manfrotto tripod and head I use with my Nikon gear. It seemed pointless carrying a light bag of Micro 4/3rds gear only to carry a tripod sized to suit a DSLR, grip and large lens.

DPReview link
    Benro adds colorful, convertible travel tripod/monopod to MeFOTO range: Digital Photography Review

The Phoblographer rewview link
    First Impressions: Benro MeFoto Transfunctional Travel Tripod Kit

Amazon link (A1 and Q head)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ANK9ZA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003ANK9ZA&linkCode=as2&tag=phobrev-20

Ebay link (A0 & Q head)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BENRO-MeFoto-A0350Q0G-Tripod-Travel-Combo-Kit-Green-A0350-Q0-Ball-Head-T318-/400469970914?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D7504131020888735414%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D400469970914%26

3. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Have a Benro A350. Stable.
    Pretty good

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Sirui has a couple of models with ballheads that are A/S compatible. I am not sure what your weight/size/height requirements are, but they make a few models that are worth consideration. I find their heads to be very smooth in comparison to others in the same price point. They are not a substitute for a Markins, but they are pleasant to use, and feel reasonably well made. You could pick up a C-10 ballhead and a T-1005X tripod for just under $200 at B&H, and I believe they offer a five-year warranty for their products.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    +1 on Sirui. I've got their T-005 and it's compact and light enough to carry strapped to a bag. It comes with a quick-release plate but I don't have any A/S gear to know if it's compatible.

7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I've been happy with these:

For portability and travel I have a Sirui T-025X is great option for the mu43 system. Carbon fiber, ultra lightweight and packable, great C10 ball head. Feels really well made. Sturdy enough with the lens combos I use on my OM-D (I don't have any long telephotos)

For home studio use I have an Oben CC-2310LA 3-Section Carbon Fiber Lateral Tripod Legs. The lateral arm is a great feature for table top, still life and product shots. It's nice and light in case I need to bring it somewhere. Right now I'm using an inexpensive SLIK SBH-120 DQ Compact Ballhead with it, but would like to upgrade to Sirui G10 head. This was recommended to me by the guys at B&H as one of the better ~$100 ballhead options available, and I really like the Sirui C10.

If you want to save some money both of the above tripods are available in slightly heavier aluminum versions as well.

8. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    While we're at it can someone please explain why Gitzo is so expensive? I've owned Gitzo carbon and Induro carbon and did not see a $400+ advantage in the Gitzo. I'm not saying it didn't seem a bit better made, just not $400 better made.

Right now I'm looking for a good carbon monopod and am again faced with this large gap between Gitzo and just about everything else. The problem is that there is so much everything else that I don't know how to decide.

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I have used a couple of A/S compatible plates with the C-10 without any problems, but it is best to check if you think that your plates may be a bit off from the A/S standard.

--Ken

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    You are asking two questions, and I am going to address the latter, as the former is quite a hot topic (and I am a Gitzo owner). Regarding monopods, there are less advantages going with CF over aluminum. The weight savings is not substantial unless every ounce counts for you, and the vibration reduction difference is probably not easily measurable. So, unless you really need CF, save yourself some money and consider aluminum.

I shot college football for a few years and used a Manfrotto 681B. It is not compact, but it is quite strong and stable (and affordable). If you can try out some monopods before purchasing, find the models you are considering, open them up, and push real hard on the top of each monopod. Does it bow or collapse? This may or may not be an issue, depending on your weight/size requirements and your style of shooting.

For instance, I used the 681B with a D300 and 70-200 lens. I could lean on this setup for hours and nothing would happen. I also have an extremely cheap and compact monopod that I use for travel. It mostly relieves some of the weight from my hands/shoulders, but is not really stable (it bows). But, its better than nothing, and it was small enough to fit in my carry-on bag. Did my images suffer? Probably a bit, but I was shooting a concert and was not going to hold that setup without some type of support for two hours and get better images. I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Good advicr Ke.. Guess I wl stick with my
    old Manfrotto

12. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012