Tripod mounting with battery door open, using dummy battery (E-M1 Mark II)?

Real Name
Mike
Any ideas for mounting a camera to a tripod with the battery door open?

I'm wanting to use an E-M1 Mark II with dummy battery connected to power bank or AC power supply for long video, long exposure, etc. The dummy battery in question is this one: aliexpress product page

The tripod plate that the camera would screw into is blocked somewhat by the hanging battery door. On some other cameras (maybe those without weathersealing) the battery door itself has a flap and the dummy battery's cord could pass through that flap while you close the battery door.

I don't necessarily mind the battery door not being closed here, but how to get around it? Some kind of shim? A tripod with a very narrow plate?

dummy_battery_and_door.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm wanting to use an E-M1 Mark II with dummy battery connected to power bank or AC power supply for long video, long exposure, etc. The dummy battery in question is this one: aliexpress product page

The tripod plate that the camera would screw into is blocked somewhat by the hanging battery door. On some other cameras (maybe those without weathersealing) the battery door itself has a flap and the dummy battery's cord could pass through that flap while you close the battery door.

I don't necessarily mind the battery door not being closed here, but how to get around it? Some kind of shim? A tripod with a very narrow plate?
You might want to measure what size plate would clear the battery door and check if B&H or Adorama sell a "small" (narrow) plate that would fit your ballhead.

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
First you'll need a mounting head that can accept a quick release plate. And the quick release plate has to have a long grove that goes as close as possible to the edge. Example of what you need is something like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/123175277746

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
My RRS Arca-Swiss plate slides far to the left where it is clamped on the tripod. I can easily access the latch and swing the battery door down to drop out the battery while mounted. Bad price is the cost of the RRS one, but others may work too if they allow for battery access attached to the body.

I also like their plate as it allows for a Camdapter leather hand-strap to be attached to it and the right lug on the body for carrying or flipping it into portrait position with the RRS L-plate. Makes it harder foe me to drop the camera while flipping it around with my hand through the strap.

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Cheap Arca Swiss plate that I bought from either Amazon or eBay.

PXL_20210605_204642365.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bkspero

Mu-43 Rookie
I find that even a relative wide (ca. 50 mm wide) ARCA Swiss plate clears the battery door by a mm or two (see photo below). With the ball head of my inexpensive ESDDI tripod from Amazon the camera with its open door may be attached to the tripod with the camera facing so the closure screw is either on the right side or the left side (photos below).

The door must be open prior to mounting the camera, though, as either the closure screw or the projection holding the bubble level would prevent the closed door from opening fully when the camera is attached to the tripod prior to opening the door (photos below).

The narrower mounting plates recommended by earlier posters would work as well, but they would still need the door open prior to mounting the camera unless you found a ball head without a projection on one side or the other. Maybe one without a bubble level.

Attachments

• PXL_20210605_205925958.jpg
    PXL_20210605_205925958.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20210605_205409410.jpg
    PXL_20210605_205409410.jpg
    354.2 KB · Views: 30
  • PXL_20210605_205455725.jpg
    PXL_20210605_205455725.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 31
  • PXL_20210605_205350092.jpg
    PXL_20210605_205350092.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 30

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've thought about this off and on, but I haven't really done much. Now that my main camera is the E-m5 mark III, I need to think about it because that camera doesn't support the battery grip.

One thought is to add a wood base that is deep enough for the door to hang down. You remove the area where the battery chamber is and put a screw to attach to your camera. You put a hole for the cord.

If you buy the battery grip (HLD-9?), you can put the dummy battery in the grip, and just leave the door open on the side of the grip. Unfortunately I don't see any clone HLD-9 battery grips on e-bay.

Also if you buy the battery grip, the HLD-9 has a 5.5mm x 2.1mm socket for remote power, so you don't need the dummy battery. Now Olympus will happily sell you a a AC-5 cable for $120 to externally power the camera, but you should be fine if your power supply can provide 9 volts of power with at least 2-3 amps. You can get these fairly cheaply ($15-20).

For the older E-m1 mark I and E-m5 mark I/II, the battery grip for the camera (HLD-6, HLD-7, HLD-8) uses a unique plug that was part of the older AC-3 (and AC-1 before that for the DSLRs) power adapters. The AC-3 is now not in the catalog any more. If you search around musty corners of e-bay/amazon, you can find a clone for the AC-1 power adapter that is still for sale. If you wanted a battery rather than A/C power, you can buy this adapter, and slice off the cable end, and solder it to a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug to use with your battery.

I believe most Olympus battery doors can be removed from the camera (and hopefully put back on). Just be careful not to let the little spring loose. You can take off the cover completely, or you can buy an extra E-m1 mark II battery cover, and drill a hole in it for when you want to use external power.
Note, I'm not aware of any Olympus battery cover that has a hole for a dummy battery. Most Panasonic cameras have it, just not Olympus.

For battery usage, you typically want 9 volts. Older cameras would be happy with 1 amps, but I don't know if the E-m1 mark II needs more power. I've explored 3 different methods:
  • I have some batteries that can produce 9 volts directly with enough amps. There are a few batteries out there, but you need to search carefully. For A/C power, it isn't an issue, there are a number of A/C adapters that produce 9 volts.
  • I've used USB boosters that take USB 5 volts and produce 9 volts. The trouble is not all USB sources can provide enough power, so you have to be careful to find a battery that produces 2.1 amps all of the time that can be boosted to 9 volts and 1.1 amps.
  • Lately, I've switch to USB C-PD (PD is power delivery). Find a battery or A/C adpater that offers USB C-PD support, and can provide 9 volts and 1-2 amps. Then get a so-called trigger cable, that plugs into the USB C-PD side on one end, and provides something like 5.5mm x 2.1mm power on the other.
If you had the E-m1 mark III, you could power the camera with USB C-PD. However that appears to have a number of limitations (no tethering, no external HDMI, etc.).

<edit>
Other posts in other forums report that the E-m1 mark III needs 9 volts and 3 amps of power when using USB C-PD. It might be a good idea to make sure you are providing 9 volts and at least 3 amps to the E-m1 mark II as well.

Last edited:
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, all. Plenty of good ideas. Looks like there are a number of smaller plates, plates with adjustable screw positions, or ball heads with no plates that would work, on top of alternative mounting solutions.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom