Tripod mount problem and solution

ianpiper

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Ian Piper
I hope this tip may be useful for someone. I have just bought an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens to use on my Pen F. I was slightly irritated to find that because the lens body flares out from the mount and because the position of the tripod mount hole, it's very difficult to fit an Arca clamp (I have loads of different versions of such clamps, and all of them would bind on the lens body if I try to tighten them).

Anyway, after a bit of thought I came up with a solution. I added a couple of soft rubber washers (the kind that seal washing machine hoses) as spacers, and that does the trick; the mount clears the lens body nicely with two washers (see photo). There is still plenty of thread on the plate bolt to grip in the tripod mount hole, and the soft washers compress nicely to make a firm mount.

My long-term solution is a RRS plate, but while I'm waiting for that, this should be a good tactical fix.

Attachments

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Ingenious solution. Another idea is to buy a leather half case. This will add about 5mm extra to the base of the camera and it has its own tripod bush. So not only does it fix the problem you raise, but it improves handling and protects the base of the camera from scratches.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
Had a similar problem with the omd 10ii and the MMF-3 adapter and Arca plates. The 12-40 was a little tricky also.
I bought a Peak Designs standard plate. Low profile and tapers down from the top giving more clearance . Grips well on the camera and in any of my Arca style clamps. One thing you lose though are the 2 bottom safety bolts.
I haven't seen the Pen F so don't know if it will work as well on it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Peak-Design-Standard-Capture-Camera/dp/B00L4R49AA

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
While being a fairly good solution, those soft washers could introduce I bit of movement due to their possition and not being dead flat and evenly spaced.

I also had a similar problem with my 12-40. What I did was to use a smallrig cheese plate with recessed mounting holes to mount the plate to the camera and then use one of the tapped holes to mount the quick release plate. I use this on my G85 to keep the plates away from the battery and lenses. Also gives a nice flat sutface for the camera to sit on. But it would not look good on a PenF.

I would post a photo but the camera is away on warranty repair yet again.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter

Mack

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the RRS L-plate on the Pen-F. I had a cheaper one (base and grip only) bought off eBay, but it wasn't satisfactory for me without the upright L-part as well.

I have a tilt-shift lens that is used on the drone. It's has the widest rear I have and it clears the Pen-F mount easily. Someplace I have a tilt-shift lens mount (Kipon for 3rd party lenses?) but it can only be used on the Pen-F and not the E1.2 nor the E-M1X as they have the prism overhang it it strikes the pentaprism area.

The photos below show the tilt lens on the Pen-F and the mount clearance, and the other shows the ruler and it looks to add maybe 4mm in thickness/clearance for the Arca-Swiss dovetail. The L-plate upright is removed too.

Front-Pen-F-RRS.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Side-Pen-F-RRS.jpg

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Another option is the Peak Design Standard plate. The slot allows you to place the plate far enough back on the Pen-F to mount the 12-40.

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I used a drum sander to releave the e
Leading edge of my Manfrotto tripod plates as they interfered with my GX80 and P14-140. The Peak Design Dual plate solves the problem for me.

JohnJeffrey

Mu-43 Rookie
I hope this tip may be useful for someone. I have just bought an Olympus 12-40 Pro lens to use on my Pen F. I was slightly irritated to find that because the lens body flares out from the mount and because the position of the tripod mount hole, it's very difficult to fit an Arca clamp (I have loads of different versions of such clamps, and all of them would bind on the lens body if I try to tighten them).

Anyway, after a bit of thought I came up with a solution. I added a couple of soft rubber washers (the kind that seal washing machine hoses) as spacers, and that does the trick; the mount clears the lens body nicely with two washers (see photo). There is still plenty of thread on the plate bolt to grip in the tripod mount hole, and the soft washers compress nicely to make a firm mount.

My long-term solution is a RRS plate, but while I'm waiting for that, this should be a good tactical fix.
Prior to buying the Pen-F, my research discovered complaints about the tripod socket. I ordered the RRS plate & grip for the Pen-F and have been delighted for 2+ years! My small travel tripod plus Pen-f kit with 12~40mm Pro lens is a delight to travel with . . .I think you will be happy with this!

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The problem appears to be due to using a generic AS plate that has only a center hole for the screw. Therefore the AS plate projects forward of the body.

This plate looks like it will do the job.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Quick-Release-Plate-1-4-for-Sirui-TY50X-K40X-K30X-G-KX-Arca-Swiss-Ballhead-USA/192312777286?hash=item2cc6bc1a46:g:cEwAAOSwHoFXrn12

Like @Mack , I use L-brackets on my cameras. Both the RRS L-bracket on my EM1-mk1 and a Chinese eBay L-bracket on my EM10-mk2, do not project forward of the body (as in your pic) and both allow the 12-40 to mount and clamp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom