1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod mount for Lumix 100-300

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Paul80, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Seen this on another forum

Anyone looking for a tripod collar for their lumix 100-300 have a look at this one from China, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320738566528 its made for the canon 180 macro but is a perfect fit on the 100-300. all i had to do was to add some self adhesive felt arount to inside of the clamp ring to protect the plastic body of the lens, it even clears the OIS button so no other modifications are needed , and for under £10 including shipping and shipped in about a week its a bargain.

Here it is on mine.

Paul

• Like Like x 8
  2. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    • Like Like x 2
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

NICE ! THank you. When you say it clears the IOS button are you saying the button is still underneath the collar but not applying potentially damaging pressure on it?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Yep the collar is in two parts the inner and the outer, once fitted the inner clears the switch and the outer goes over the switch not touching it, its even possible to gain access to the switch with the mount in place with a strip of stiff plastic.

With it fitted as I have done there is no risk of damage to the switch or the lens's plastic barrel.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  5. usayit

Thanks for the details..

Thanks to spdavies for the ebay linky.... saved me the trouble of tracking one down. Ordered one this morning. Hey $15 bucks is worth the curiosity.

6. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Looks like I'm out of luck. Seems the item is now out of stock. Oh well.

7. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Kelly,

Here's a couple more - I haven't ordered these, so not guaranteeing anything about them, but they look like the same thing.
    The first one is some guy in Texas - only ships to US, but has several offers for same mount at slightly different prices.
    The second one says ships worldwide.
    Good luck! (as always on the 'Bay) . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Coll...642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a7692f50a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tripod-Coll...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item234018ac52

• Like Like x 1
  8. usayit

Sorry... I think I was the last one....

I don't believe this one would work because it doesn't have that inner ring. From my understanding from the OP, that extra inner ring is what helps clear the switches on the 100-300mm.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    This is the photo from the Texas offer - looks like it does have the inner ring.
    The other one doesn't show the ring in the photo but otherwise looks like the exact same product.

$_12.JPG

10. chipshot713

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the tripod ring from the merchant in Texas on ebay. Heck, if it doesn't fit the 100-300, its bound to fit some other lens I have.:rolleyes:
    Besides for $13.75 shipping included you can't go wrong.

11. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    Let us know how it works out.

12. chipshot713

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
  13. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Yep that one looks the same, when the inner ring is expanded to fit the lens the slot you can see opens enough to clear the switch, it does have to be inserted in the outer ring first so takes a little fiddling to get on, but once it's on you probably won't take it off, as it even helps when hand holding.

Paul

14. RBrianTaylor

RBrianTaylor Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2014
    Roanoke, VA, USA
    Brian Taylor
  15. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Unless it falls apart while on a tripod.

16. dcbrookes

dcbrookes Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 24, 2010
    Herefordshire, UK
    The Ebay dealer shown in the OP's post has them back in stock (on Ebay UK). I have just ordered one, it will be interesting to try it out when it arrives.

17. chipshot713

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Bigal...If it does fall apart I'll just duct tape it back together.[emoji6]

18. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    I have the one from Germany. Only thing i've seen is that if you attach it too firmly to the lens, the zooming looses smoothness. Lens is obviously not made for such a collar. Same experience here?

19. usayit

Probably correct.... The lens is small/light enough I wouldn't see a need to torque it down that much. For me, I use the 100-300 on a gimbal head and its uncomfortable / inefficient to rotate the camera+lens around the tripod axis. I currently use a nodal slider to compensate but to rotate the camera from landscape to portrait position requires me to unmount the camera. A collar that rotates is a better solution.

I'll have to post here when I get it in person.

20. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wow. I can't remember what I paid for mine, but it was at least 10 times that amount. People should just follow me around and then not do what I do. It would save them a lot of money. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1