tripod, monopod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by frugalman, Jun 30, 2012.

1. frugalman

frugalman Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 25, 2012
    what is a good one?
    would like to get a good one that's not too expensive.

is monopod ok? (don't know too much about this topic)
    what do you recommend??

i think i am getting one for long range videos
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I have a Slik Lighty Pod III:

Slik Lighty Pod III Monopod with SBH-100 Ball Head 618719

I originally got it to use with my Pentax Kx and longer lenses, so I swapped out the ball head for a Feisol CB-30C ball head. But the ball head that comes with the monopod is fine for my m43 gear.

The 'pod is really well made and very lightweight. I'm impressed with the quality -- especially considering the price.

I also own a Slik Mini Pro V table-top tripod with pan head, and I can easily swap the heads between the monopod and the mini tripod. It works great as a chest pod with the ball head.

Slik 611352 Mini Pro V Table-Top Tripod with Pan Head 611352

I still like to use my Arca Swiss-compatible plates, and I happened to have a Kirk 1.75" clamp (though the less-expensive 1" would work too). I've been able to screw this clamp onto each Slik head when needed.

Kirk Enterprises : 1.75in Quick Release Clamp

Hope this helps! :smile:
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    If you are shooting videos with a telephoto you will want a pan head tripod.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Search - there are a gazillion threads.
  5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You can't go wrong with Gitzo or Bogen/Manfrotto (Gitzo being more expensive). There's also Benro and Velbon IMO at lower tiers but still quality products. There are literately dozens of manufacturers of tripods... do your research.

You should also prioritize what is important to you.

* Price
    * Weight
    * Sturdy

You can only pick two of the three. If you want cheap and lightweight, most likely it won't be sturdy. if you want sturdy and lightweight, it won't be cheap. etc...

Then you've got to decide on the type of head to put on the tripod. 3 way pans tend to be more accurate as you can adjust the 3 axises independently. Ball heads tend to be faster thus more popular with the general crowd.

The question is really broad with little information provided. As with most questions, the quality of the responses is directly related to the quality of your input... usually after doing your own research.

Same as above... quality input == quality output. First question... "ok for what???" My rule of thumb.... don't expect the content of people's responses to be any longer than the effort I put into actually posting the thread.

This is mostly a photography/stills forum.. should probably check other sources of information. My gut thinks you should be looking at sturdy tripods with fluid heads for smooth panning but I'm no videographer.
  6. rxstuve

rxstuve Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
  7. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    i'd strongly suggest looking for something that can hold a high amount of weight, likely more sturdy, long range still photography is hard enough as it is even with a less than sturdy tripod, so find something that can hold up with little-no camera shake
  8. Ritualnet

Ritualnet Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    UK - West Midlands
    Hi, I'm looking at mono's for my trip to Florida, and I'm trying to find something small and light. I've noticed Slik don't advertise a Lighty Pod 3, but instead advertise a 100, 200 and DQ range (here). Which of those would be best with a GF1+20mm?
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    What does "not too expensive" mean to you? For some that might mean $30, for others it might mean $500. There would be much different recommendations at those price points.

How important is portability to you? Obviously a monopod is going to be much smaller and lighter, but also less stable.
  10. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Looks like Slik is updating their lineup. Probably any of those three would be just fine. The DQ looks to be closest to my Light Pod III, as it's got 5 sections (folds down smaller than comparable four sections). It has the same head as the Light Pod III, except it adds quick release, so they've replaced the SBH-100 with the SBH-100DQ. Mine has the padded grip shown in the photos of the 100 and 200, though. Interestingly enough, the photos of the Lighty Pod III don't show the padded grip, nor does the photo of the DQ. (Chances are the pic is wrong, but I'd check before purchase.) The 100 and 200 are four-section pods, they have thinner legs and don't extend as tall, I suppose to keep the closed length shorter. The III/DQ are the heaviest of the bunch, but they fold down pretty small, have thicker, sturdier legs and will easily handle heavier gear if you decide to use a larger camera and lens.

Even if you opt for the 100 or 200, you can still replace the SBH-100 head with the DQ or some other head.

Anyway, the camera/lens combo you mention is small and light, so any of those should work just fine, perhaps even overkill. With a combo that small, you might consider a chest pod or similar option as I mentioned in my previous post.

HTH! :smile: