Tripod in Hadley Pro?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by eggshen, Mar 26, 2013.

1. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Does anyone know of a solid tripod that will fit in the Billingham Hadley Pro? I will have a body and one 1 or 2 lenses so there will be an entire slot open if I split the main compartment in 3.

I have been looking at the MeFoto line and the Benro Travel Angel but I don't think those will fit, probably too tall. I have googled this many times and I can't seem to find anything at this point.

Anyone have any ideas? Will a "real" tripod even fit in the Hadley Pro?
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    How much maximum height do you need? How do you define "solid"? And what is your budget?

3. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    My budget is probably under $500 and I am only 5'7" and I don't mind it being a bit on the short side.

What I mean by solid I was speaking about build quality.
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    There's a variety of folding tabletop tripods that can fit in the 9 inch or so space that you have.
  5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    You have a decent budget to work with, so you have some good options. But, from my experiences both here and at Nikonians, "quality" is an extremely subjective trait that only you can decide.

If you are picky in your definition, than know that many tripods which are extremely light and extremely compact are most likely not very stable fully extended, and if they are very stable, they are probably not very tall. Granted, your load factor is probably less than a DX or FX sized-camera, so you have that in your favor, but you still do not want a rig that will tip over when the wind blows (at least I would not want one).

IMHO, given the size of your bag, I would find a very good tabletop setup that is solid, light weight and compact. Sirui and Really Right Stuff have really nice compact ballheads that can be used with a tabletop tripod from Leica, Kirk, Novoflex, RRS, or Berlebach. The total weight of a package like this can be less than 2 lbs. if you choose carefully, and it will work wonders on tables, walls, and window sills if you have a remote.

If you still interested in taller units like the ones that you mentioned in your OP, then I would also add Sirui's T005X, T025X and T1005X.

Good luck,

6. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I have a Velbon Ultra VOXi L for travel purposes. I folds down to about 14" or so but stands pretty tall at maximum extension.
  7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Not sure about the size of Billingham bag but I have a Sirui T-025X which is quite a small carbon fiber tripod(folded 11.8" long/1.8lbs) and although I can swing putting it inside my Timbuk2 Snoop sm messenger bag, or strap it to the outside; I can tell you it's quite cumbersome to walk around with. Add in a couple lenses and a body and you've got quite a heavy bag to lug around.
    If I want to bring a tripod but still keep things light and carry a shoulder bag I have 3 options I use:
    • Small:
      Giottos QU-305B + Slik SBH-100 DQ Compact Ballhead
      Benefits extends a bit taller 13.8" than the others and has a 'real' ball head. Great versatile table top tripod kit and very well made and designed. Can be used without extension shaft to get really low. Has a pouch.
    • Smaller:
      UltraPod II (with added quick release)
      Light and packable, has a quick release, but has it's limits with EM-5 and larger lenses or HLD-6 grip. This tripod can be strapped to fences, rails etc with attached velcro strap so that can be handy feature. Ballhead sucks in comparison to a real ballhead.
    • Smallest:
      Manfrotto MP3-D01 Pocket tripod.
      Literally a shirt pocket tripod, great in a pinch and can be left mounted to bottom of camera and folded up flat. Works well with E-PL5 or EM-5 with pretty much any lens combo; adding the HLD-6 grip pushes this little guy to it's limits as it wants to fold up on you.
  8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

9. Senna

Senna New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2013