Tripod IBIS/NoIBIS 60MM Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by newphoto1, Feb 25, 2015.

1. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Seems to be a difference of opinion on this one - turn off IBIS on a tripod, or leave it on because it just doesn't make a difference. All of the following shots were on an E-M1, manual focus, 0 sec shutter shock on, F8.0, JPEGs right out of the camera, mounted on a tripod with remote shutter release.

First IBIS ON Full
    Second IBIS OFF Full
    Third IBIS-ON-Crop
    Fourth IBIS - OFF - Crop

Can you discern a difference? I am not great at empirical testing, so any suggestions to my methods?

IBIS-ON.

IBIS-OFF.

IBIS-ON_crop.

IBIS-OFF-Crop.

2. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Guess this isn't the burning question of the day! Anyway my opinion based on this limited example is that it just doesn't make much difference whether you have IBIS on or off when you use your camera on a tripod. I do not see any noticeable difference in these examples. Your opinions?

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    There's an IBIS 'AUTO' setting also, right? Or is that just for panning?

Barry

4. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    It appears some parts of the IBIS on are sharper, some are not. I think you need to try again with more samples.

5. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    You won't see a difference shooting 2D maps at fast shutter speeds. But the O60 sucks a lot of light into its long, thin tube. Shoot a flower at slow shutter speeds and the IBIS Off/ Tripod combo will win every time.

But I ALWAYS bring a flash to a macro shoot and would only use a tripod with a heavy MF lens like my Lester Dine because its tiring to drag a flash rig with that thing on the E-M1 all day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser

Hey! I live in Glen Ellyn, IL.

• Like Like x 1
  7. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    The choice of the Atlas page to photograph was purely random!

8. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I've always left the IBIS on and had no problems whatsoever. Even the Finnish Olympus guru Pekka Potka has suggested to leave the IBIS on when using a tripod with the OMDs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think that your choice of subject makes the comparison difficult. On its own it is not very crisp when enlarged. When I am checking an image for camera motion, I magnify small points of light and look to see if they are smeared in one direction or another. The catch light in a person's eye is the first place I go. Fuzziness doesn't generally indicate motion; it is the smear that is a dead giveaway.

If you're shooting macro, maybe taking a photo of your computer monitor's colored dots would give you something tiny and crisp to check for smears. I have an old set of resolution test targets that would work too, but you may not want to spend the bucks to buy something like that. There are probably other things too.

10. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Paper currency has lots of detail. Or scratches on old coins.

Barry

11. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Why don't one of you improve on my test? I have had shoulder surgery and setting all this up is not easy one handed.