1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod help

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by sebs_color, Feb 11, 2014.

1. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    anyone know of a good (entry level, less than $125) tripod that they would trust that is not too expensive? ive seen a few on amazon but the ratings are all over the place.

thanks people!

2. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I bought the Dolica Proline fiber carbon tripod at Costco for less than $80. It is really very nice. The ball head is fabulous and the whole thing is very light. The only problem might be if you are very tall or need a lot of height. I definitely recommend it, you can probably get it from Amazon for a decent price. They make some more basic models which are not as good. The one I have is ZX600B103

• Like Like x 1
  3. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    • Like Like x 1
  4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    How about a used Manfrotto? of the auction site or small ads, they are tough as mines been chucked in and out of cars, dropped etc still solid as a rock so a used one should be fine, bought mine used years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    thank you so much! I think I am actually going to get the next model down (the one you got is 109 on amazon) so I think I may have found my tripod! really appreciate your input!

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
  7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    You are welcome! I think you will like it. The only thing I would make sure is that the ball head is the same. Otherwise all you give up is a little bit on the weight.

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

One thing that I loved the most about using µ4/3 cameras was that I did not need to use the heavy duty tripods anymore, like my Bogen, that I use to use with large SLR and dSLR cameras.
    When I first handled a µ4/3 camera, noticing how nice and light it was, I pulled out an old Ambico tripod which I paid 10 dollars for, and mounted my camera on it . It did not feel too heavy or large for that tripod, plus the tripod is much lighter than my Bogen was.. Since then I have lost its top plate, so I have purchased a nice new 3 way Kodak tripod, that I found in a department store on sale for 15 bucks. I still have my Bogen for when I need to use larger heavy lenses, but its nice to use a light inexpensive tripod that you do not have to worry about damaging or loosing.
    I think for my next tripod I might budget 40 or 50 dollars to purchase something even lighter and or more compact, but that's a long time away. I dont need that right now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The Sirui line of tripods are a great value for the price. I have the T-005 which I think has been replaced by the T-005x (the center column is removable in the new version), comes with a good ballhead and Arca-swiss compatible quick-release plate.

• Like Like x 2
  10. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    I just got done learning about tripods and getting one. A good tripod and ballhead is all about stability for your shots. There's stability and then there's capital S Stability and then there's all caps STABILITY. So first you should let us know what you would shoot (landscape, portrait, macro etc), in what settings (back country, parks, studio etc), how you would get there (hiking, car, home), and weight/cost considerations.

The best tripod is a camera whose base is sealed into 3 tons of cryptonite. Can't beat that for stability. For all other situations, though, the situation helps shape what is "best".

• Like Like x 1
  11. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    You can get a Gitzo at that price if you are patient, especially if you have a local Craigslist. I actually have a Gitzo that I bought for $60. I didn't even need it, but a little hammertone spray paint has made it look like new and it is as solid as a rock. Just GAAS I guess.

Never buy junk tools.

• Like Like x 1
  12. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    nyc
    And I will throw in a relative bargain for what it offers. I just ordered this $130 one myself (no ballhead), it's on clearance now.
    http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/MA055XPROB.htm

Horizontal center column is great for macro. Stable b/c tall even w/o center column (190XPROB is shorter/cheaper). And I strongly prefer fliplocks.

It's much longer and heavier than my previous mefoto backpacker tripod. I didn't want to spend another $200 for lighter weight carbon fiber. This is really pushing envelope for me but will see if it works out.

13. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    For µ4/3 there are a lot of completely usable options. I'm a fan of both of these, but actually prefer the pistol-grip head:

Manfrotto H01

Manfrotto P01

• Like Like x 1
  14. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I recently bought the Dolica GX650B204, which is 65" tall. There is also a 60" version for just under $50. I really like mine for my GX7 and other m4/3 gear. The ball head is nice and tight and has a quality feel to it. The tripod is fairly stable, and it has a hook on the bottom of the center column so you can hang a camera bag or other weight to make it more stable.

Here's the Amazon link for the 60" version: http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-GX600B...ords=dolica+65+inch+aluminum+tripod+gx650b204

• Like Like x 1
  15. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    Thanks for all the great information everyone! I really appreciate how informative and helpful everyone is on here, and I hope to learn a lot in the future!