1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod for Macro/Close-ups?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by dornblaser, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have an interest in flowers/gardening and with spring on the horizon I am thinking about photographing some of the smaller early bloomers. I have seen pics of the Macro photographers with some interesting shorter tripods and I am wondering if those might be useful in my close-up (not macro) work? We already have two 50+" tripods which I have used for close to the ground work in the past. Any suggestions before I start searching?

2. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Curious to know which tripod+head combinations you already have. From my experience, the closer a tripod can get to the ground, the better it works for macro. Also, does the current tripod and especially the head support the weight of the kit properly? The most irritating thing is the head creep when doing close-up work.

3. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  4. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The load capacity looks good for a micro four thirds camera and a legacy lens (not sure about bellows). I think you'll be fine with this.

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    This my current set-up. Slick 500G, with center post removed, Bogen 3025, and the rail from a bellows macro setup. I really like it, but would like a good ball-head, for a more compact, lighter and usable set-up. (Used a piece of correct size all-thread rod, with washers and nut, for mounting head to tripod base.

[​IMG]

6. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Steve,

That is a nice set-up and the size is exactly what I was thinking of.

- David

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You could also try a tripod with a boom arm, so you're not limited in perspective and angle by the height of your tripod. Longer or shorter focal lengths can also help you change your angles and perspective, depending on what you're shooting (ie, a wider angle might get you under a flower, while a telephoto might let you back off and avoid shooting from overtop).

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9. veereshai

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    Steve,

That looks like a pretty nice setup. For ballheads, you can look at the Sirui ones but I don't like the QR plates on them. I'd still mount the rails on the ball head for best control.

And if anyone's interested in very very good control, you should look at the junior head offerings by Manfrotto. Amazing but heavy to carry around :(.

• Like Like x 1
  10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have a Vanguard Alta Pro and the center column can be adjusted into all sorts of positions for macro work. It is well built and sturdy but not too expensive.

Vanguard

11. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

When I have an occasion to use a tripod for macro this is the method I will use. I have a National Geographic Expedition carbon where the legs can be released and splayed more than normal and a centre tube that can be mounted upside down or horizontally. I find most ball heads are difficult to position exactly for macro/close-up, especially if using a longer lens, so I mainly use a Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal on which any camera/lens combination can be balanced using Arca Swiss style plates. The gimbal can be positioned so easily and doesn't even need to be locked-off before taking the shot, using a ball head or video head after using one of these is a real pain.

David

• Like Like x 1
  12. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    I use Slik travel tripod mostly as a monopod. It is very comfortable to stabilize the camera this way while giving the ability to focus when moving the camera.

13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    My set-up was not chosen by characteristics, and then bought. I bought the head, and macro rail cheap, off Ebay at different times. The tripod I got from my Brother-in-law for $5.00, with a broken head. Combined them.

The tripod has 4 sections that are useful, if not great, but not for windy conditions.

But, the way it is shown in the post, is the way I carry it on walks in the woods and fields. One handed "by the neck", it is easy to handle through our woodlands, and quick to setup for the one shot. If I need the camera higher off the ground, I hug the whole thing to my body for stability. Used with 2 second timer, gives a very stable platform.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I can do that, it just looks awkward.

15. Rockinggoose

This is the set-up I use when a tripod becomes necessary for close-up/macro work, it can be used in all sorts of configurations.

IMG_70581.

IMG_7059.

IMG_7060.

David

• Like Like x 1
  16. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Where do u get that setup?

17. RobWatson

Maybe just me but I'd want to add a counter weight. Either way me likey!

18. Rockinggoose

Doesn't need one - it is rock steady.

National Geographic Expedition Carbon tripod plus Lensmaster RH1 Gimbal:
    www.lensmaster.co.uk

David

19. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    David,

That link does not work for me, do you have another?

Thanks,
    David

20. RobWatson