Tripod for EPL1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Starred, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Hi all,

I have an Olympus EPL1, and I want to buy my first tripod, but there are so many models that I don't know which one to choose.
    I will not use it very frequntly, it is mainly for making better pictures in the evening during vacations.
    So I am looking for an easy to carry, compact, lightweight, and not to expensive tripod.

Do you have some suggestions for me?
    Somebody suggested GorillaPod to me, is that any good?

2. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I went through the same thing with my own Pen, and after much research and reviews, ended up with this, and find it fantastic. The folder length is only 350mm, so it lies flat in the bottom of my messenger bag....

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    It sounds as though you don't want to spend much money on it. Therefore, you can't go wrong with this one (if you are in the US):

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/

In the end, this is not a huge investment so if you never use it then no harm done. If you find yourself using it all the time and want something better...well, that can get to be an expensive bridge pretty quickly when you cross it!

Skip the gorillapod, unless you get the big dslr version they are not very stable.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have the dolica, it is nice for some emulation of a 'serious business' tripod. It's not meant to be a convenient quick-setup thing the way a gorillapod is. Generally quite nice though.

5. What is your definition of not too expensive, compact & lightweight?

Have been using a Benro C-069M8. ~2# & folds down to ~14". Max height is ~54". For the reduced weight you end up paying a bit for carbon fiber construction. Purchased it for a bit over $200 including the marginal ball head. So far, the seals have held up to light rain & sandy beaches. G2 or GF-1 with 45-200mm is the heaviest body lens combo I have. No issues except with gusty winds. There is a built in center column hook that allows hanging some weight (like the camera bag) to provide more stability.

6. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions all!

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    There are several travel tripod threads in the "Accessories" section of the forum.

x2 for the Benro.

There is something to be said for saving up and buying a quality tripod. It will cost less to buy a nicer one first, than buying a couple along the way and ending up buying that one anyways.

8. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    Hi -

For sheer compactness and usability it's hard to beat the GorillaPod DSLR, the biggest of that family. I've used it to good effect with something as massive as the E30+70-300, and have even had the gigapan robotic panorama head on it. It would be a great match with the EPL1. It doesn't have a tripod head as such, but given the flexibility of the legs (and the ability to wrap around branches, railings, etc.) this is less a problem than you might think...

JohnF