1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod for EM5ii?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RobDMB, Apr 6, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Looking for some recommendations for a tripod for the Em5 ii. Want to be sure its sturdy enough to hold any lens I put it on (have the 12-40mm now). If possible, would like to keep the budget around $100 but if that is not possible I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

2. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I used to have a Slik Pro 330 EZ which was certainly sturdy enough for an M43 and costs just a bit more than $100. I replaced it with a MeFoto only because it wasn't as travel friendly as I'd like. But, I regret selling it. Should have kept it. :)

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Take a look at the Benro Travel Angel II (formerly called the Tranfunctional Travel Angel?). I've had one for a couple of years and have been satisfied with the balance of stability, weight/portability and price it offers. My favorite feature is that you can remove one of the legs to transform it into a monopod.

The price (new) starts at around $230, but you can probably find a used example for a bit less.

4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I like Slik tripods - they are quite sturdy and can take a lot of abuse.
    For budget of around $100 - it will be heavy and not so tall model.

5. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    try the manfrotto befree and the sirui T series. they are around $199 but they are much lighter and smaller but still very sturdy. i use the befree on my EM5 MK1 for my landscape shoots

6. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    With some patient lurking on eBay, you should be able to stay within budget and score an older Gitzo with a ball head. Look for "Reporter" or "Studex." The Reporter line was slightly lighter weight with 1 1/8" major tube diameter. The Studex adds 1/8" to the diameter with significantly increased stiffness.

Or try to get lucky on your local Craigslist. I have a Studex 320 that I don't need but couldn't resist at $60.

If you want to PM me an email address I can send you a PDF of an older Gitzo catalog that explains all the models and specifications.

Tripods are such simple devices that I see little reason to buy one new. Unlike cameras and lenses, 60 seconds with a tripod and you will know whether it is a good one or has problems.

7. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    I too am a fan of MeFoto tripods. Well constructed and versatile. Recommend you loosen up your budget a bit. If you have a Mk II and paid for a Pro lens, why go light on a tripod and end up with a great camera setup that can't take a steady shot on a breezy day?

8. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    How does the Manfrotto BeFree compare to the MeFroto Roadtrip Travel Tripod? This are a bit more than i wanted to spend ($200) but am willing to go that high if its worth it in the long run.

9. atnbirdie

atnbirdie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2013
    Maryland
    Sorry. I only have the MeFoto.

10. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    I have the BeFree for my EM5 also, great little tripod :)

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    When you get a tripod in your price range, assuming it is new and therefore of modest standing (pun), consider using it as much as possible unextended, i.e. with column down and legs short. That will minimize its tendency to wobble -- which may be a factor if you are getting it for 64 MP photos. I decided to upgrade my $100 Slik for precisely this reason when I got my EM5 II, although I have no proof that it would need upgrading, just felt nervous about it based on how much my previous camera wobbled on my fully extended Slik.

12. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I have the RoadTrip. I have not compared the two side by side. However, I saw a BeFree in a Costco store and was not particularly impressed. The rubber tips slipped on the concrete floor at the store and the legs flexed too much. On the sample model, part of the head was broken (I can't remember what part), which means it got some abuse in the store, but not a good omen for durability. It didn't feel as solidly made as my RoadTrip.

And, flip locks are slower to deploy than twist locks. I never used to think that until I got the RoadTrip and found it to be true. (I used to use tripods with flip locks). Shortening the legs takes about the same amount of time. I also think the RoadTrip folds down smaller than the BeFree. In any case, the RoadTrip feels solid and works well in practice. It's a bit heavy for a travel tripod, but it feels sturdy, up to the limits of its size and design. The ballhead works well and locks down solidly. I'd recommend the RoadTrip.

I would also recommend looking at some of the Sirui tripods as well as the Sliks. I had a Slik Pro 330EZ which I really liked, but it was too big and heavy for travel. Nice and stiff, and I liked the one-handle pan and tilt head. I'm sorry I sold it. Although, after I replaced it with the RoadTrip, I realized that even the aluminum RT was a bit heavy, albeit the right size, for travel.

One other thing in favor of the MeFOTO. They use Arca-Swiss compatible QR plates. I didn't like their QR plates because they use a slotted tripod mount screw. No flip up handle, so using your fingers to tighten the screw is difficult. I found some replacement tripod screws with both a slot and a D handle and extra QR plates on Amazon.

As others have mentioned; if you want a sturdy tripod for use at home or work and a lightweight, compact tripod for travel, you can't fulfill both needs with only one tripod. You have to suit the tripod to the purpose. I tried to have both with the RoadTrip, and it does fairly well at both, but isn't the best at one or the other. It was a compromise, and not a bad one, but it's important to learn (as I did) the nature of that choice.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    One of our tripods is the MeFOTO Roadtrip. It is a very solid and nice tripod, one that I would easily recommend. I know that you state your budget is $100.00 but tripods last a long time unless they are poorly built.

14. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  15. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    MeFoto makes nice "budget" full size tripods starting at around $150 and up.