1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod for EM5 and 75-300

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by boulderjoe, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    It had to happen... I finally realized I need a better tripod. The moon looked amazing, a sliver going behind the mountains. And none of my shots were clear because of camera shake.

So what say ye mu-43.; what is a good tripod that is less than $200? Convince me I need a RRS ballhead and carbon legs if that is what you love. Or tell me a velbon blah blah is better. Obviously I haven't researched tripods in a while :)

Aforementioned missed shot: http://robonza.tumblr.com/image/108880934464

Thanks for any input.

Cheers,
    -Joe

2. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Kelly
    Joe if your tripod has one of them hooks on the center post you might try using one of them pull string bags that Oranges and Apples come in sometimes. Stick it in your camera bag or tote and you can usually find some rocks or something to put in it to add weight to the tripod thereby reducing motion (er camera shake). Just a thought and a lot cheaper than the latest and greatest gadget. Cheers, Kelly

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Do you have a good ballhead already?

For affordable legs, look at Sirui, Feisol and Manfrotto among others.

--Ken

4. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I would love to find a tripod collar mount for the 75-300 like the one for the 100-300. That would probably also help.

As for a tripod I just have the MeFoto RoadTrip. Nice, light, compact, and will support everything from my m4/3 system through my FX Nikon setup (I don't have anything longer/heavier than the 70-200 f/2.8).

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Feisol, Vanguard, Mefoto legs

Acratech ball head

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I lucked out and got a Slik 804 tripod for next to nothing from a photo studio that was going out of business years ago. I added a Slik AF2100 trigger grip ball head. That setup will support the heaviest Nikon kit I can put together, but is light enough to take when I seriously need it.

I also have a Gorillapod SLR version.

So, my advice is to look for a quality brand, but find one used that someone is dumping cheap.

If you want new stuff, Midwest Photo Exchange has a lot to offer.

Kits here:
    http://mpex.com/bags-tripods/tripods-supports/kits.html

I personally have one of the Induro monopods and really like the construction of it. There is an Induro kit in there for $160 I believe (page 3).

7. Fred S

Fred S Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2012
    Calgary
    Fred S
    With a Tripod I set my shutter delay for 2 seconds. That really helps

• Like Like x 1
  8. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Yes, the two second delay helps a bunch. Also hanging something from the underhook will help.

If you're sure you need a new tripod, I'll throw my two cents in. I have a 3 Legged Thing Brian. It's a half pound heavier than the MeFOTO Roadtrip carbon fiber recommended earlier in this thread, but the 3LT extends much higher - max of 78.7" (!!) for the Brian, 61.6" for the Roadtrip. I'm 6' short on a good day, and I didn't want to be constantly hunched over when I was setting things up or using the tripod to track fast moving objects (herding dogs), so I ended up trading the weight for the additional height. Usually, the higher the height you set your tripod, the less stable it is, but I haven't had to use the max height yet - so I can't comment regarding that.

The times I have used the tripod, it worked great.

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    190CXPRO3
    with acratech gps

A carry over from my DSLR days. Nice and robust, but rather lightweight (due to the CF legs), I usually carry this on hikes with one of the legs slung through my camera back straps across my chest.

10. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you want a more specific recommendation at, or around, $200, I would suggest the Siru T-2005X or the Feisol CT-3402 with traditional legs. Both have 28mm maximum diameter legs, and that is going to help a lot. Also, avoid raising a center column if at all possible. And, since your lens does not have a collar, you could buy an extra long plate for your camera so you can better balance the weight on top of your ballhead.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone for the info, my current tripod is laughable. It is a cheap little Giottos from way back.

IMGP0842.JPG

-Joe

• Like Like x 2
  13. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Still better than no tripod.

• Like Like x 1
  14. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
  15. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Joe,

In light of seeing your current tripod, and my receipt today of a Sirui T-1005X that I ordered for an upcoming trip, I suspect that you could use this model if you do not plan on loading it up with something a lot larger than what you described, and if you keep the center column down. This is a very affordable and compact tripod that seems well made, although it would probably not tolerate heavy abuse (and I do not know many 5th leg segments on these travel tripods that would tolerate such abuse given their tiny diameter). And, it would leave you with some funds for a new ballhead if you are also looking for a replacement. It is worth consideration if size/weight is an important consideration in your decision-making process.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  16. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Well, that is what I use (RRS head + 3LT c/f legs). I love it but I won't try to convince you as you sure as h*** will not get it for under $200.00. :smile:

18. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Just closing the loop on this. I bought a 3LeggedThing Punks-VYV Magnesium Tripod with Airhed Ball Head. It is just OK. The tripod itself is pretty good. I like that it turns in to a monopod. But the real weakness is the ball head. With the 40-150Pro on it, it sags so much it is better to just hand hold the camera.

-Joe

19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Like I said, RRS head.

Sorry, just couldn't resist. I know it is impolite to rub it in. ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Indianpeaksjoe

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    When you are right, you are right! I ordered a RRS-BH25 with the TFA-01. I figure this way I can figure swap over the ball head when I carry the other tripod.

[​IMG]