1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod Collar for Panasonic 100-300mm - Rösch Feinmechanik

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jnewell, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I long ago replaced the factory tripod collars on my Nikon 80-200/2.8 and 300/4 with much more stable, low-profile collars from Burzynski, so when I bought a Panasonic 100-300mm zoom for a trip to the UK last summer I looked around and a couple of references to the collar made by Rösch Feinmechanik. Time was short, however, so I put the search off until a future time.

I recently decided that now was the time, so I emailed the maker to inquire about availability and final cost delivered to the US. The result was that, 74 Euros (about US$100) and nine days later I had the tripod collar on my desk. :thumbup: I haven't had time to use it yet, but I wanted to let people here know that this collar is available and looks very promising.

The specs from the website (translation courtesy of Bing):

-black anodized high-strength aluminium alloy
    -simple Assembly without tools
    -ergonomic captive screw
    -high stability with lens-friendly clamping
    -Weight only 70 g
    -two tripod holes for balance
    -small size, can remain this way permanently on the lens
    -Using the lens hood in both directions possible
    -vertical and horizontal application without limiting the switch

My observations so far: This is very well made - comparable to the Burzynski collars in all respects other than not using a Delrin ring inside the collar. As the instructions that come with the collar note, if you rotate the lens in the collar to shift from landscape to portrait with any frequency you may notice rub marks on the lens barrel finish.

The collar is available in two versions, one of which has an Acra-compatible foot as well as the two 1/4" standard tripod holes on the other version. (Both collar versions apparently cost the same.)

In informal indoor use, I've found the collar very easy to use, both hand-held and on a tripod. Its low profile not only helps rigidity but makes it easy to cradle in the left hand. Access to the zoom ring is affected slightly, but I found the Panasonic accessory zoom lever (which I had on the lens previously) still works well for zoom control after attaching the collar. Furthermore, the lens fits into the Panasonic lens bag, and into my shoulder bag, easily with the collar attached, and adds very little bulk.

A side note on the Panasonic accessory zoom lever - I find it moderately beneficial, but I wouldn't say it's by any means necessary, and some might find it annoying. At the time this was posted, the cost from major dealers was around $US25. You can see it mounted in the pictures below: it's the thin black ring mounted over the zoom ring, just forward of the collar ring, with the small black lever sticking out. Again, it's personal preference. I got used to levers 40+ years ago on Leica lenses (though that was on the focusing ring, obviously, not a zoom ring at that time.)

So far, this seems like a highly useful addition to a lens which really benefits from a stable mount, and the cost and shipping time seemed very reasonable to me. There are some quick pictures below...pardon the dust! ;)

i-JTd2FQH-L.
    i-Nz8nzHB-L.
    i-s5C9brc-L.
    i-k6mgzH8-L.

• Like Like x 8
  2. SteveNunez

SteveNunez Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 11, 2010
    South Florida
    Steve Nunez
    Excellent!

3. mangomonster

mangomonster Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    I get quite a bit of jello when I try to use this lens with my GH2, even on a very stable tripod. Do you think this would help eliminate vibration? It looks promising.

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the reason for the "jello," but it might help. That's a pretty big lens and when it's fully extended it has quite a bit of leverage on the camera. If the tripod isn't absolutely steady, you could easily get some wobble from the tripod mounting arrangement, especially at longer focal lengths when the weight/leverage is most working against you.

The points I wanted to contribute at this time were (1) this collar is available without great cost or long waiting time (at least right now) and (2) it seems to be very well designed and if it performs as expected (and as similar collars have performed) it should be a material improvement in image quality where the issues relate to camera/lens stability. (There are obviously quite a few other variables that go into getting a sharp image. :wink:) )

5. cherrywood

cherrywood Mu-43 Regular

Dec 17, 2010
    Ohio
    !00-300 collar

Thanks for the info, looks like a great collar for this lens. I have always held off on this lens as it did not come with a tripod collar. This lens should have been designed with one from Panasonic.

It is after all a 200mm to 600mm lens on mu43 and who uses a lens with this FLE without a tripod collar on a tripod in Aps-c or FF.?

Thanks Dennis.

6. thanks!

The travel tripod small ballhead would appreciate a more balanced load. After some real world use a followup review would be appreciated. Thanks for posting the images and initial review.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent find, I've been looking for one of these. :thumbup:

8. LundyD

LundyD Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2013
    Dayton, OH, U.S.A.
    Dave Lundy
    Thanks for the info & photos. Also I wasn't aware of the zoom assist ring. I've always found my 100-300mm lens to be a bit "sticky" when trying to zoom. I've entirely given up attempting to zoom while shooting video with it. I'll check out both of those items.

9. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

How does it attach to the lens? Are the instructions online at this site I can review them?

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I think the site is in German, but it attaches like any tripod ring does There is a clamp that tightens it around the outside of the lens barrel.

11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    You shouldn't really need instructions - open the collar, insert the lens and cinch the ring down. :smile:

12. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Okay, I wasn't sure if it was that simple. My only experience with a tripod collar is my Canon FL 55-135mm and it's collar is built into the lens.

13. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    It attach to the focus ring? How do you manual focus with the collar attached??

14. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    What is this "Panasonic accessory zoom lever"? Is it absolutely necessary, and where can I find one?

Thanks,

15. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Personal preference and convenience only, definitely not absolutely necessary. (Link)

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Interesting, and price isn't too silly. I don't find it strictly necessary (the combo is still lighter and not much longer than my 24-105 on a 5D), and I usually shoot tele 'in the wild', so sans tripod, but it's good to have the option!

17. Roger.Cavanagh

Roger.Cavanagh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 31, 2013
    London, UK
    Roger Cavanagh
    I've just got one of the Roesch tripod collars. It's a very nicely made piece of kit. Haven't used it in anger yet, but see no reason why I wouldn't give this a :thumbs up:. I did have to use the secondary screw hole for the quick release plate, so the camera shifted rearwards as I found the release lever of the Manfrotto QR was a bit close to the HLD-6 grip on the E-M5.

I'd also agree with the previous comment that the base plate on the collar provides some extra support when using the lens handheld.

18. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Not necessary, but I bought one. I have large hands so it helps. Cheap enough too.

19. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    No it doesn't interfere with the focus ring. Mounts around where the is switch is located.

20. rklepper

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I bought both the tripod collar and the Panasonic accessory zoom lever. I think both were a good value and I am glad that I bought both.