1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tripod ball head - Benro, Triopo, etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pawel D., Oct 9, 2014.

1. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    I have Velbon DV-7000 tripod and recently it occurred, that I need a decent photo head - ball head preferably. At first I was thinking about 3D head, but that's not fast enough for me.

I was thinking about: Benro KB-2, Benro KS-2 and Triopo B-2N.

Do you recommend buying original Benro KS-2 for $130 (B-2 is more expensive) or Chinese no-name design for $30?
    Or maybe any other ball head? I strongly need something design for photography and I'm confused with on-line searches...

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    In that price range, I would also consider Sirui ballheads if they are available to you. I have found them to be one of the better built affordable ballheads, although I am sure there are others worth consideration, but I like to recommend products that I have actualy tired whenever possible.

--Ken

3. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    Could you recommend any particular model? I've already spent two days looking through those Benro and Triopo stuff.

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Is size a consideration? And what is the maximum load and focal length that you plan on supporting?

--Ken

5. Pawel D.

Pawel D. Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Białystok, Poland
    I've found used Sirui K-20X locally for about $110. I wonder about locking knob - there's only one for adjusting friction and locking (as far as I'm concerned) - is that enough? Isn't it easier to work with two knobs: one for friction and one for locking?

Old russian 3M-6A 500/6.3 is the longest lens I plan to use. However, there's also a possibility of using a B4 lens and that's quite a load. I aimed at 8-12 kg of load to have sufficient reserve of head strength. Size and weight of the head doesn't matter that much - I usually take my equipment by car and I'm used to carry gazillions of kilos on my back in the field ;)

One more thing - my Velbon has 1/4" thread, so I need a reduction. Benro has those in the set. When I saw Sirui photos, I realised there is no place to use reduction with flange - it won't fit the tripod column. Or am I wrong?

6. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe that the K-20 is a very popular model in their line. I have their smallest ballhead that I use with a Novoflex BasicBall Tabletop Tripod. I have not tried any of the Siruis with friction locking knobs, but my Markins has one (single knob for friction locking and an inner knob for tension) and I have been quite happy with it. You adjust it for the lens and desired tension, and then just use the main knob for friction. Very simple and effective, IMHO. I do not know about the quality of the Sirui set-up, but if it is like the Markins, then it is worth considering unless you prefer a two-knob set-up.

A 500mm sounds like a large load, so I would look at ball diameter as well as load capacity, as the later is often not much of an indicator of performance, especially related to ball creep.

I do not have my unit with me, so I cannot answer your question about the thread issue. perhaps somebody who owns a K-20 can chime in on this thread?

Good luck,

--Ken

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA