Tripod and Head Questions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mike Deane, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Mike Deane

Mike Deane Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013

1) I am having trouble releasing the 3/8" adapter from the ball head. Should I consider using the "Red Loctite and bolt" method to remove the adapter? I asked particularly that all my tripods and monopods have 1/4" base plate, so I don't really need to remove the adapter. Please help.

2) I am having trouble tightening another head onto a monopod via a 3/8 adapter. When I tried to use a regular 3/8" bolt to insert into the head, I found that the bolt stopped turning after a couple of turns, and could only be turned if I used a ratcheting wrench. Does it mean the internal thread of the head is stripped? Should I use some lubricant to assist in the tightening?

Thanks in advance.

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I cringe.

Re #1 if you "don't really need to remove the adapter" then don't. A good rule is: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If you do need to remove it, the best way is probably with an "easy-out" AKA broken screw extractor. It will ruin the adapter, though. Good thing they are cheap.

(Start with a few applications of "PB Blaster Penetrating Oil" on the adapter. This stuff is the only magic juice in a can that I have ever found to live up to its claims. Home Depot carries it.)

Re #2, see if you can find someone to look at the threads for you and possibly clean them up with a tap. Make sure you are using a "regular" bolt with the right thread pitch. "Regular" bolts come in coarse and fine threads. You want coarse.

Never force something going in and for sure don't use a lubricant so you can apply more force. If it is not going in easily, there is something wrong and force will quickly make things worse.

If you have already ruined the head, find a small machine shop, snivel a little, and see if they will install a "Helicoil" insert for you. Helicoils have salvaged many a part. The tooling is expensive and they are hard to install freehand (without using a drill press, lathe, or mill), so I don't recommend it as an amateur job.
  3. Mike Deane

Mike Deane Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks, OldRacer.

You are right. I won't take the adapter out, since I don't really need it out.

As with #2, I don't know how I could have stripped the thread of the head though... I do have some friends that run machine shops. I will ask them about the helicoil thing.

I really appreciate your suggestions!