1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Trip to Seattle

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by hamadiscool, Feb 16, 2018.

1. hamadiscool

hamadiscool Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    Shot with EM-5 Mark II with Voigtlander 17.5mm.

Thoughts??

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. mumu

mumu Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    I think you should shoot a lot more videos or stills so you can fill out the gaps in your video. There are no clips that "glue" things together, or provide transitions, or provide expository information. I'm not saying you should make a cinematic masterpiece. I'm just suggesting that you include a bit more to add context. Technically there's not much to complain about.

3. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks for the feedback! I know that I need a lot of work with the story telling part. I am just getting into video and want to work on technical part first. Hehehehe.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The video starts out really strong with some interesting panning shots and "B roll" footage, but it gets a little flabby toward the middle. I liked the continuity of the transitions where you're following your subject (wife?) through the various various scenes. The cut between the Deception Pass bridge (I think) and the pier is particularly good with the continuity of the visual elements. I also like the variety of styles you leveraged (panning shots, still shots, timelapse, etc.)

One thing I would suggest is to work on transitions between scenes as @mumu@mumu mentioned. One idea is to use something like a timelapse of a taxi or Uber ride to establish that you are moving on to a new location. Place signs and street signs can also be used to establish a sense of place.

All in all it's a nice project. Looks like you lucked out with some really nice weather.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Ya some of the back and forth between two scene more than once could be cut out (like the Amazon store and the stirring (what I assume are) coffee beans.

This would probably be a great use of the Oi.Tracking app to log GPS data and your video could include little map updates showing your transition from one location to the next on a map. Not sure how to transpose that onto the video, but something to look into perhaps?

6. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    The going back and forth was to stick with the best in the music

7. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes, but you could of also done it with additional different scenes.

8. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    good stuff. it looks like the video could have been broken up into 2 separate videos.

I like the early shot with the woman looking to the sky then you cut to the flag which is like a POV shot. The shots of you following behind her were good but I would add more shots of landscape afterward so we get a view of what she sees.

I agree that cutting back to the same scene of the stirring doesn't work too well but what you could have done is not use the same exact shot or maybe crop so we get a closer up shot of the stirring. or find other cutaway shots that are compelling. You can do a shot of you grabbing items or since they don't use cashiers, show yourself with said items and just walking out of the store.

like i said a lot of good elements and can't wait to see how you develop

9. halebalephoto

halebalephoto Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2015
    I really liked it a lot until 00:35. The first halft was cut excellent and had interesting content. Good job!

10. adammaniam

adammaniam Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 7, 2015
    I think for the slow motion bits, the original footage needs to be at a higher frame rate.

For example, if you want to slow down by half and your final output is 30fps, the original footage must be at least 60fps.

The slow motion footage here looks a tiny bit jerky in my view which suggests that maybe the footage was slowed down a little too much.

Just my thoughts, since you asked.

11. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    I shot at 60fps and slowed down to 24fps . I am using pinnacle studio and for some reason it's hit or miss for me when I slow it down .I saw the choppiness ans tried so many ways to fix it but for some reason I just couldn't get it to work. Need to continue playing with the software to understand it better.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.