Trip to Paris!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pharaviel, Sep 4, 2011.

1. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Leaving for a week in Paris with my girlfriend tomorrow!

Something I should definitely see/shoot? eat? someone to meet?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I haven't spent any real time in Paris in about 30 years, but my advice then (and I doubt it would change much now), is just to walk. Keep walking. Then, walk. Walk until you can't walk anymore. Then, have a coffee, a baguette, and walk some more. Repeat as necessary. Its such a beautiful city with so many interesting little nooks and crannies, just walk and have your camera(s) at the ready. The place is a pure visual treat...

-Ray

3. luguidomanski

luguidomanski Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2010
    Curitiba, Brazil
    Luiz
    I've been there in 2009, and agree with Ray: Paris is a treat to your senses. Try walking around, use the metro, visit the touristy points, find the others. You will leave feeling that you missed something, no mather how much you saw and tried.

Enjoy!

4. dapipoy

dapipoy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    midlands, uk
  5. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    Been living there for 15 years... wonderful city. Lots of classic sights (I assume it will be your first time there) not to be missed, but one thing you could do is start at the Louvre and go north/north-west walking as little as possible in the streets and as much as possible in the passages, towards the Gare du Nord. All those passages are very different one fromm the other - plus, you will be sheltered in case it rains... and of course, +1 with Ray ! Maybe you can also tell us a bit more about yours and your girlfriend's interests - parks, contemporary arts...

6. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Packed my macbook, 500gb drive, 3x16 gb sd card, e-pl2+vf2, g2, 20mm, 14-42mm, 45-200mm and nikon sb800 (you never know). Lonely planet paris guide on the iphone. It's the first time my Fuji-Nikon S5 stays at home... :eek:
    My girlfriend has the gf1 and 14-42.

Not really my first time, I've been with a school trip but 2 days only... useless. In a week we'll have more time to see and shoot!
    Thanks for the "rain tip", the forecast are not nice on the middle days of the week...
    Our intrest? I love photographs and I want to go sightseeing every corner of the city, my gf is in love with arts and has a degree in classical arts (so I'll have my personal guide). I also saw on the web guide there is a jazz festival there, that's awesome.

Repeat (walk, see, stop, shoot, restart) until death or end_of_the_week;
    Ok, I'm programmed for my trip!

7. Gwendal

Gwendal Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 6, 2010
    This would be this festival : Accueil - Jazz à la Villette 2011

In this case, maybe you'll want to arrive early, it is inside a big park that's really worth a visit including by night : Parc de la Villette | Parc et jardins - and you can get there basically taking from the above mentioned visit of the passages and going on along the canals - once again, walk walk and more walk...

As far as classical arts are concerned, the Louvre is a must-see - it closes early most days but at 10PM on wednesdays and fridays - way less tourists at this time, most rooms are empty as soon as you stay clear of the Mona Lisa and such.

8. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Just went there myself in July for four days.. really short I know. If you like paintings, Musee d'Orsay is a must. I was delighted especially by the pastel paintings. :thumbup:
    Can't say I like walking all day with a Nikon D300 and GF1 in my backpack. Good thing I decided to leave the tripod at the apartment :biggrin:

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Unless you NEED the Macbook I'd leave it home. I can think of way better stuff to do in Paris than be on my computer (and I think GF would agree). An E-P2 shooting JPEG on a 16GB SD card is about 3,000 images (3 SD cards will give you 9K images)...I think I only shot 4,000 on a 3 week trip to Spain and Portugal. Eat, drink, walk, love, shoot, enjoy and sort out the images when you get back.

Lens wise I had a 14-54, 40-150 and a 50/1.8 OM lens (I was shooting an E520). 95% of my shots were with the 14-54. It was also a real PITA to lug around that gear. Next time I go (next year) it'll be a GF2/GF3 (or equivalent), Panasonic 20, 14 (mostly because its barely larger than a lens cap) and MAYBE the new uber compact Panasonic kit lens, a half dozen SD cards and that's it. Travel light...it's way more fun.

10. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    The only use of my macbook will be to copy cards over the external disk (I shot raw) and send mails to family (don't want to call over the phone with such high rates).
    My GF knows how to make me close the notebook and put it off the bed...

Gear-wise I would love to go there with only pana 14mm, pana 20mm and oly 45mm... But I just received my 45-200 and I want to try it on the field.

11. bobbywise

bobbywise Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2011
    Nantes, France
    Paris is a great place. Like Ray says, it's just great to walk around.
    One idea is to go to Montparnasse and pay 10 euros to go up to the top of the building there. There is a cafe there, so you could chill, eat, and take pictures of the Paris skyline. Most people think to go up the Eiffel Tower and take the skyline from there, but not from Montparnasse.

Enjoy you trip !

12. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Paris is the most romantic city in the world. Consider this as a gift to your girlfriend, pay her some attention. Walk around and use your eyes rather than the 3" on the back of your camera. Enjoy some of the finest dining in the world, some of the greatest art, some of the most inspiring architecture and perhaps the coolest culture of any city, anywhere.

Leave the camera - buy a book - the world's best photographers have already covered Paris.

Paris is perhaps the one place on Earth where taking your camera is missing the point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    I see your point - but I don't share it. I'll bring my camera because it's a way to express myself, and maybe to freeze some emotion of us in this trip.
    This trip is a gift to both, she finished her studies in art and I need a break at work (and with health issues).
    I know many great photographers already been there, done that... And I'm sure I don't share the same eyes (or eye... Hehe) but I sure want to try. My memory is not too good for someone of my young age, so a couple of picture are precious to evoke memories and feelings.

Nevertheless, thanks for your tip. And I'll pay many attentions to my girl =)

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I agree - take the camera! You may or may not come back with an original masterpiece in your photos of Paris. To be sure, lots of great ones exist. But you'll find your own nooks and crannies and your take on it will be YOUR take on it. And the bottom line is that if YOU'LL ENJOY taking photographs, then you should do that!

I once made a similar recommendation to the above regarding the Grand Canyon and there I ALMOST stand by it. Because no photograph can even BEGIN to do the Grand Canyon justice and trying to photograph it as a tourist can be a real exercise in frustration. BUT, people love trying to get that shot - I can't imagine I'd take my own advice either. TRYING to get it down in an image is part of the travel experience and if you enjoy it, go for it....

-Ray

15. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Photographing photographers :)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Oh no, please no...

• Like Like x 1
  17. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :biggrin: It looks like there are more photographers than subjects there.

I really love image 5, for some reason. She looks like a very intelligent person!

18. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Lots and lots of cute japanese girls with Olys.
    I think I saw one (really cute) with an EP3 with 14-42 lens.