1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trip to Oz, should I get another lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bbig119, Dec 11, 2012.

1. bbig119

bbig119 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2012
    Hi,

I've got a Panny Gf3 w/ Panasonic 20 mm 1.7, Olympus 45 mm 1.8, and 14 mm 2.5 primes. I'm going to Australia in February and I'm wondering if I would be well served with another lens. Specifically I'm curious if I should look into a zoom lens, but I'm not sure what range would be best.

I don't think getting a lens starting at 100 mm is smart, but I wouldn't mind getting something with 100 at (or near) the upper end. I think it would be nice to be able get through a day carrying one or two lenses.

2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    It sounds like the new Panasonic 45-150 might be a good match for you unless you are hoping to shoot primarily wildlife with a zoom. The 45-150 should be small enough for your body and your travel bag.

3. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    Oz is a large and diverse country. Where will you be travelling, what will you be doing?

If I were to ask about lenses for a trip to USA without saying whether I would be visiting NY or Alaska, what would you recommend?

4. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    However, to answer the question in the thread title, any excuse for a new lens...

If the question is whether to acquire new gear, who in this forum is going to say 'no'?

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi...OZ is a big place and I think you will benefit from 45-200 the most as your prime ends at 45 and there is nothing to cover 45-100 range if you go for 100-300 mm lens.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

6. You might that extra money just to pay for food, accommodation, and transport over here.

7. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    It would be nice to have something like the Pana 45-200 for that extra bit of reach should you need it...but by the same token Nic has a perfectly valid point too. You could always do with an extra boat cruise through the Whitsunday Islands and shoot the lenses you already have.

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Me... If you can't do it with a classic three prime kit, you're doing it wrong :wink:

But seriously, depending on your individual style and subject preference a 14mm, 20mm and 45mm will cover an awful lot of situations while remaining a fairly simple, straightforward kit (something I value hugely when travelling). I've always found extra lenses to get in the way of the experience, despite their usefulness for those 3% of shots. But that's for my style.

That said, if you really do want an extra I'd look at either the m.ZD 40-150 (I think it's a better bet than the Lumix 45-200) or m.ZD 9-18.

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Actually, ignore everything I said above - save the money, sell everything but your 20mm, and use the cash to make your way down to Tasmania. You won't regret it :smile:

8236901267_0e89bc36d1_c.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

One of mine with 45-200

I'd recommend the 45-200 as it has a longer zoom, you never seem to have enough zoom. It continues on from your 45 prime also. This was taken at Byron Bay, one of Australia's top tourist destinations. They fly off the cliff up near the light station.

P1070522.

11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I just spent the whole November in Australia (a road trip from Sydney to Cairns) and had these equipment with me:
    - E-M5
    - Pana 14mm
    - Pana 20mm
    - Oly 45mm
    - Oly 60mm macro
    - Tamron 90mm + 2x teleconv.
    - Tamron 500mm

Naturally, most of the pics were taken with the 14mm. Second most used was the 60mm. And guess what... The trip made me buy a 100-300mm Pana! All those magnificent birds and other creatures were so amazing that even the 180mm Tamron wasn't long enough to capture the true beauty of 'em. I just got my 100-300mm today and maaaaan, I wish I had bought it 6 weeks ago!

The 180mm was sometimes long enough but the teleconverter "eats" light and it isn't as sharp as a native lens. Also I missed the auto focus at times. I can't wait to go back to Oz and grab all those pictures I couldn't this time... :biggrin:

Oh, and the Tamron 500mm is a PITA to focus and is - in fact - too long most of the time...

12. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    Steve

13. Ralser

Ralser Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2011
    What happened to my post?

When I was there the time before last (the last trip was only for a weekend), I had the 14, 20, 45, and 45-175. I used the latter 2 most, and the 14 least. If you're doing any zoos, walk in aviaries and such, a longer zoom is pretty essentially. I carried it all in a lowepro sling bag, with space for other stuff. Back always you'll find some photos I posted of this trip.

Steve

14. bbig119

bbig119 New to Mu-43

Aug 27, 2012
    Thanks for the replies.

We're planning on being in Oz for a little more than two weeks. We're planning to spend the better part of a week on Hamilton Island and then head to Sydney. I've got family in the outskirts of the city that we'll be visiting and I'm sure we'll also take a few day trips. I made my first trip to Oz in 2005, but this is the first time for my wife-- so we'll definitely be going to a zoo or two. Beyond that, we have no specific plans for wildlife or anything that would necessarily dictate a need for a specific lens.

15. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

naw see first you strike a deal with some one in australia that needs equipment, then you buy it in the USA, carry it here in person, sell it back at a profit, then take the money and pay for food :biggrin: (like the em5 with 12-50 is about $1400 here so if you can pick it up for less... I use to know some guys who use to pay for their trips this way)

oh BTW, keep in mind 90% of the worlds most deadly and poisous creature live over here. A 300mm telephoto lens ought to keep you a safe distance away...

16. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I will throw you another suggestion, buy a water proof point and shoot. Great for photographing the reef or when you are out in the surf at Bondi.

17. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

I bought an EM5 + 12-50 in Perth for my trip to the USA in May as I couldn't find it any cheaper online in the USA. Plus got the 10% off duty free that brought it down to less than $1300
    But I came home with a Nikon AW100 from Costco that was much cheaper than buying in Oz.

18. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I think I'd rather follow Nick's suggestion of Tasmania instead of Hamilton I. for the scenery and also for the weather.:smile: Sydney's okay for a short visit, but family obligation makes it unavoidable anyway :tongue:

Whichever lenses you bring, there are some great images to be made. I never carry all my kit (if I wanted sore shoulders I would have stayed with the big toys :rolleyes:), but whichever glass I carry I find something... My 135 is often included, so if you need that length and want AF you could justify a telezoom.