Featured Trip to Norther Germany (Hamburg & Ruegen) - Image heavy

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Julia, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Hello fellow photographers! I finally had the chance to take a vacation again after very busy 18 months at work. Naturally, the weather turned as bad as it could possibly get with a hurricane pounding the northern coast of Germany where I was headed. Nonetheless, I made the most of it and want to share some impressions with you.

***Equipment:***

Body: Olympus EM.1.1

Lenses: Even though I took four lenses with me (Pana 45-150, Oly 17, Rokinon 7.5 Fisheye) I only ever used the Oly 12-40 Pro and never switched lenses the entire trip. That’s actually my dream come true: one lens that covered literally everything I needed.

Other: I took my Formatt Hitech rectangular filters and the polarizer as well as a Hoya polarizer (that goes directly on the lens). Tripod: the tiny MeFoto Daytrip, which on this trip served all my needs.

***Hamburg, Germany***

First, I drove (from Dresden, where I live) to Hamburg to visit my big sister. The drive and first day were something to forget, but then Hamburg took mercy on me and gave me some amazing sunshine on Sunday. It was pretty chilly, but the sky was an amazing blue and the puffy white clouds made for perfect texture.

Panorama (stitched in LR) from the gallery atop the Elbphilharmonie towards the Landungsbrücken. The yellow building to the left is the musical hall for the musical “Lion King”.

What impressed me most while walking through the Hafencity was that you could see the Elbphilharmonie (which has just recently been finished) from almost everywhere. The red brick building used to be a storehouse, and they build the actual orchestral hall atop.

While waiting for free access to the viewing gallery, I tried to catch the soap bubbles a guy made for the children playing at an ice cream parlor.

We took the old Elbtunnel and walked under the river to the other side. There is a newer tunnel that’s an Autobahn, but this old one still has elevators that can take up to two cars at a time. The old tunnel is currently under constructions so on Sundays it’s cycling and walking only here.

And since I love the water, I was delighted that our day tickets for public transportation covered the ferries which zip back and forth through the harbor. Here, you can see one of those ferries, one tiny section of harbor with cranes in the background and an art installation with the guy on the buoy that stopped me dead in my tracks :D

***Island of Ruegen, Germany (Sassnitz)***

I drove on to the island of Rügen, which is located in the Baltic Sea. The weather was abysmal when I arrived, but I braved the 600m (about 660 yards) walk out to the Lighthouse while being pounded by rain and stormy winds. For some odd reason, some of the stones next to the Lighthouse almost glowed, and I put up my tripod close to the edge of the platform, which was terrifyingly slippery. I was so worried I’d slip and end up in the water (with no one around) I actually crawled on all fours to make sure I could keep my balance.

The weather wasn’t much better the next day, but it made for some nice long exposure shots to soften the water (which I love love love).

The soft chalk cliffs are a bit dangerous. Every year, pieces break off so you are actually not supposed to hike at the bottom right after heavy winds or a storm flood.

Thankfully, the weather changed the day after, and even though the wind was still driving the clouds across the sky, the sun finally illuminated the famous chalk cliffs and the autumnal forests above, and even the beach looked a lot friendlier:

Some people for size comparison a the base of the chalk cliffs.

Yours truly having a grand time ;)

***Island of Ruegen, Germany (Sellin)***

On my last day of the trip I got up at 6am and drove 50 minutes to Sellin, where there is the Seebrücke Sellin (seabridge). It’s very popular with photographers, and we had all set up, found our spots, and waited for the light to appear. You can probably imagine the roar of despair, anger, and frustration that erupted when the delivery guy pulled up 10 minutes before sunrise, just when the light turned perfect, and parked right in front of the building. I heard swear words I had never heard before in my life, and I have to admit, I was crushed, too. All the effort and then you had this ugly truck in the picture…

Fortunately, the rest of the bridge was still deserted at 7:30am and I got some nice shots there. This construct at the end is actually being submerged into the Baltic Sea and then people can learn about the plants and animals that live in the water. Also, the coast was being illuminated by the warm early sunlight.

I finished off this exhausting day with a great sunset back in Sassnitz. I certainly wish I would have had better weather, but now that I know my way around the island a bit, I think that I will be better equipped the next time and know where to go for more diverse photo opportunities.

Thanks for reading!

• Winner Winner x 32
    • Like Like x 27
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. Jeffcs

Jeffcs Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2017
    Toms River NJ
    Jeffrey Swank
    Thanks for sharing

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands / N.Ireland
    Stan
    Nice set, really great photos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
    Cool pics, especially the 2nd last one with a leading line of stones.

5. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Thank you, I loved that visual, too. I was very impressed with the bird at the far end who kept his wings spread for most of the long exposure :D

6. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    The last ones are very nice. Btw, just take a picture before the postman arrives or afterwards and blend in post. The colour should be easy to adjust on the building face. Taking multiple exposures generally is the way forward for travel pictures. After all you often only get to go there once.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Great pics!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    Wonderful images. THX for sharing

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. nancyr

nancyr Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2014
    San Diego
    Nancy
    Great compositions and processing. Bravo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Thank you for sharing. Lovely photos and I also enjoyed the narrative.

11. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    The delivery truck was still there when I left the town five hours later ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    the 3rd last one a winner for me! I appreciate the narrative as well

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Really great photos Julia.

14. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    Thank you! I didn’t actually know that the sea bridge extended *past* the first building, but should have figured, otherwise there wouldn’t be much "bridge". I was really lucky that most photographers went for the obvious composition of the restaurant and beach, and literally no one was behind the restaurant. Some luck is always required :)

15. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    Wonderful!

16. DWS

DWS Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2014
    Very well done, Julia! :clapping:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Ausgezeichnet!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    Ah it reminds me of when I went to Stralsund and Zinnowitz.

19. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    Excellent images, thanks for sharing them.

20. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    It's hard to chose a favorite, I will go with this one:
    15-.

• Like Like x 1