Trip to Chicago

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by hamadiscool, Oct 6, 2011.

1. hamadiscool

hamadiscool Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    I went to Chicago with my family recently and it was a great trip! Chicago is such a beautiful city unfortunately I was only there for two nights :(. I made a mistake and shot in RAW, OMG what a pain in the ass to edit 300+ pics. I am never making that mistake again! Took pics with a GF1, 20mm pancake, 9-18mm, and Minolta 50mm 1.4.

Enjoy:

10-6.

11-5.

12-7.

13-5.

14-4.

15-4.

16-4.

18-3.

[​IMG]

20-3.

21-3.

22-1.

23-4.

24-4.

25-4.

26-4.

27-4.

28-3.

29-3.

30-3.

31-3.

33-3.

34-3.

35-3.

36-3.

• Like Like x 10
  2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Love the images!

3. bnash

bnash Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2010
    Saskatchewan
    Great collection of photos! One of my favourite cities.

Bill

4. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    fishing for comments ...

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Nice pictures. I like that Marilyn statue, I almost thought it was an impersonator until I scrolled down a bit :smile:
    Is the vignetting on some of the photos intentional or is it from the lens?
    oh yeah. that pizza = :eek: insane :biggrin: how much mozzarella do they stuff in there?? :cool:

6. Beady

Beady Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Trenton Ohio
    Just curious what editing software you use as you mentioned that shooting in raw is a pain. I shoot everything in raw and just wanted to see what everyone else is doing. Sorry I do not want to hijack your post.

thanks

7. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Very Nice

I now know more about Chicago than I had learned in my previous 62 years. :biggrin:

8. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

The Huge Mirrored Ovoid Art Piece Piqued My Interest

How can such a fantastic structure exist right out in the open and me, internet junky that I am, not know about it? :eek:

They call it The Bean:

chicago_original.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Salaams,
    Great shots! Good old Devon (Dewon) st.....makes me crave Biryani just thinking about it.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Nice images, I think my favorite is the b&w cityscape. Glad you had a great trip!

11. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Great photographs and one of my favorite cities! Tempts me to book a flight this afternoon! :thumbup:

12. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I like your processing on these shots. You have a very consistent look and feel across the images.

It's always interesting to see how others see the same things; the differences in perspective and what catches our individual eyes are intriguing. I have thought about taking that exact same shot of the bike rentals but never pulled the trigger! ;-)

I especially like the goose and the b&w skyline. The last shot reminds me of my childhood - half of the bungalows in Chicago have that plant lining the shaded sides of the building.

Thanks for posting!

13. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    It was pretty cool, I think it has been removed already. Vignetting is intentional, I do think I went overboard on some of those pics :p. Chicago deep dish at it's best1

Unfortunately I don't remember b/c it had a 30 day trial and I uninstalled it after it ended.

Chicago is an amazing city, I just wish I had more time than 2 days there!

Everyone takes funny photos there1

Thanks, food wasn't as great as I thought it would be :(.

I normally don't like B&W pics but the colors just didn't turn out good so I thought why not B&W?

14. hamadiscool

Jan 23, 2011
    Texas
    Do it!

Thanks, effective 100mm is a fun focal length for me.

Normally I just play with exposure, gamma, sharpness, and vignetting during PP.

15. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    Mecca, then Chicago? You get around.

Come back to Chicago in December, January, and take that lakefront shot again. :) The ice buildup can be pretty neat to see, too.