1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Trinty lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by HNM43, Nov 21, 2012.

1. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Hello everybody,

Hoping to get people opinions on a good trinity lenses set. I got the Olympus OMD for hobby/fun/enjoyable shooting, love the camera for it look, function and lightness. I want to get 3 prime lenses that would complement around shooting (landscape, street, and portrait).

I do feel that microFT are spoil for choice when it come to prime, and can't really make my mind up how to set my lenses.

I have already got the 75mm f1.8 and the 45mm f1.8. Now I am definitely keeping the 75mm, but was wondering what would be the best to compliment it.

Here is what I'm thinking:

Olympus 75mm f1.8 (Portrait)
    ...........................(Group and Street Photography)
    ...........................(Street and Landscape Photography)

Olympus 45mm f1.8:- Great portrait lenses, but tight for groups shoot
    Panasonic 25mm f1.4:- I hear great thing about this lenses, but was worrying about the compatibly with the OMD and AF speed. Plus it bit big and price.
    Panasonic 20mm f1.7 (loves the idea of the pancake lens, but hears people mention problem with low light focusing and slow AF)
    Olympus 17mm f1.8 (but not sure of the IQ yet)
    Olympus 12mm f2 (rather expensive set)

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

2. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    I love my 12mm/f2. I just spent 2 weeks in Europe and it spent the majority of the time on my OMD. Great for landscapes, indoors and night time. Definitely worth the money. I bought mine as a refurb from Cameta for $660 to save some cash.

No experience with the P25 though a lot of people love it. I have the 20mm and would agree that the AF is slow along with low light focusing struggles. It does take great pictures though. I am looking at selling mine right now, the only reason I would keep it is to have a pancake lens. I am currently thinking of the new 17/1.8 though want to see some user feedback on it first.

3. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I have the 12, 20, 25, 45 and 75. If i have to keep 3, then probably 12, 25 and 45 or 75. 45 will more useful but the 75 is such a superb lens.

4. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I don't own the 12mm prime, but on my big rig (E-5 and 12-60), I tend to shoot it that focal length around 75% + of the time...especially if you want to do landscapes. There's a huge difference in FOV between the 12 and 17mm.

I like to refer back to this image when determining the FOV.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    The P25 AF is really fast and is great for group and street. Its size is really not that big, as long as you are not limited by the "pocket-ness" of the camera. I think OMD is a relatively large body for most street cloth pockets anyway, regardless of what lens you put on it.

As for the P25 noise on the OMD, when I use it outdoors I have only noticed it once and it was barely audible, again, relatively. The background noise of the environment covers it up pretty well.

6. m43dex

m43dex Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2011
    Michigan
    Amin started a post this summer called " Best 1-, 2-, 3-, and 4-lens kits for your Micro 4/3?"... Search for it and get lots more answers/thoughts

7. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Thank you for the quick replies.

The 45mm is a great portrait lens, but the 75mm is just so wonderful and I can't really justify keeping both.

This is what I was worrying about,

It seems like that best combination are 75mm f1.8, 25mm f1.4 and 12mm f2, the 3 most expensive native prime lenses :D. Unfortunally I based in the UK, both of these lenses are more expensive than over the US.

I guess I will look to sell the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and start saving up for the 12mm first.

Gosh, a dream lens would be a pancake 25mm f1.8 (if only).

m43dex - Thank you for letting me know, I did try to search for the thread you mention, but it didn't came up. If you happen to find it please let me know.

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    No real compatibility issues besides no in-camera CA correction on Olympus bodies. AF speed is just as fast as my M.Zuikos.

The only "problem" is sort of a non-issue. Some people experience aperture blade noises going from bright to dark scenes and vice versa. The camera metering causes the f-stops to change. I get it once in a while but it isn't something I worry about and it's completely normal. If you shoot in aperture priority you'll never experience it.

Best prime lens trinity as of today: 12, 25, 75. Affordability is another issue and sometimes you may not have enough room to work with the 75.

9. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  10. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    dav1dz - Thanks for the feedback on the 25mm, I glad to hear that. Isn't funny, the top 3 native prime lenses are also the most three expensive :D.

savvy - Thanks for the links, that is a great summary of the stats.

Well I guess 75, 25, 12 seem to be the set, just have to start saving up.

Many thanks for everyone help and advice

11. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    While you are saving up for the 12mm, get the Pana 14mm. It's small, quite bright, fast to focus and C.H.E.A.P. If you buy it second hand you are likely to get almost the same £ back when you decide to buy the 12mm. Did I mention the 14mm is cheap, especially for the IQ/size you get.

12. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    For me the best prime trinity is 12/2, 17/1.8 (assuming IQ is very good/close to 20/1.7), and 75/1.8. I know there's a huge gap in the middle but my personal shooting style favors either very wide or very tight and not much in between.

I have owned the 45/1.8 -- excellent lens but not my preferred FOV. I gave my 25/1.4 to my wife so I can purchase the 17/1.8. The 25/1.4 is a great lens and it's my go to lens for parties and gatherings because of its normal eyesight FOV. Unfortunately, I rarely bring the 25/1.4 out for photo walks because it's not wide enough. The 17/1.8 I can imagine would be a good compromise, useful for both events and street shooting.

13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I suggest the 20mm and 12mm. The 12 is wide enough for most stuff, fast and sharp.

The 20 over the 25 because:

a) The 20 and the 25 are pretty equal in the "sharp" category (the 25 is not significantly sharper, but it does deliver a nice 3D-creamy bokeh rendering in certain situations);
    b) The 20 is a pancake (for those times you want/need a pancake ... no work-around this, either you're a pancake or you're not);
    c) Both are pretty equally fast, while the 25 is faster at f/1.4 the 20 is right there on its heels at f/1.7, a fraction of a stop slower. For most of us this is not significant; and
    d) The 20 is significantly less expensive.

Two things going for the 25 are that it focuses a tad faster and there is greater separation between 12mm and 25mm than there is for 12mm and 20mm. Both these points are a slight advantage 25mm.

Gary

PS- I have the 12mm, 20mm and 25mm, so I am speaking from hands-on experience.
    G

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1, the 14 may be the best value in all of micro4/3-dom, very sharp (up there with the 20mm), a pancake and at f/2.5 not to shabby. (I have the 14mm also, lol).

Gary

15. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Personally, I never really fell in love with the "classic 50". I lean more to a wider "normal" lens. So...

wide: 12mm - no other choice IMHO, the Pany 14 isn't wide enough.

normal: 20mm or 25mm - I'd pick the 20 after decades of using a 35mm as my normal on my old film Nikons (long since sold off).

portrait/tele: 45mm - I'd find myself agonizing over a choice between the Oly f/1.8 or the Pany macro.

16. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Did your OM-D come with a kit lens (either 12-50 or 14-42)? I ask because if you don't know that you want/need the wideness of the 12mm you might be satisfied with the 14mm at significantly lower cost.

I've used both the 20mm and 25mm - again different fields of view and you might find one feels more "natural" to you than the other. They're pretty close in terms of image quality, and the 20mm focuses slightly slower. I liked the 25mm more but there are times when I wish it was a pancake.

17. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Others have already made some great recommendations, so I don't have much to add, but just my personal experience.

I own the 12mm, 20mm, 25mm, and 45mm. Would love to have the 75mm also, but it is too specialized for my use to justify the costs. Anyway, I love my 12mm for city scape and street stuff. Never really used it for landscape, since I always grab the 7-14mm for that purpose. For anything longer than 45mm, I use one of my telephoto zooms. Anyway, I actually rarely use my 45mm because I live in a crowded city, and I find the 45mm FOV too limiting. I am now actually considering selling it.

As for the 20mm, it was my lens cap until I got the 25mm. While both renders great images, the auto focus speed is noticeably different for me. It makes a difference when I tried to capture a sharp image of my daughter playing at the park... The 20mm has hardly been used at all ever since I got the 25mm. Having said that, I actually prefers the slightly wider FOV of the 20mm over the 25mm...

Since you already have the 75mm, I would recommend saving up for the 12mm and 25mm unless focusing speed is not an issue for you...

18. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    It really depends on how you shoot. 17, 25, and 45 cover 90% of my shooting, and most of that is with the 25 and 45, but you might well shoot differently. If you do lots of wide angle, you'd want another triad of primes.

19. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    For me, two thirds of the trinity is the CV Nokton 25/f0.95 and m.ZD 75/f1.8. They're both brilliant and offer a very unique way of seeing.

For #3 I'm not sure. I've owned/own the Lumix 14mm, Lumix 20mm and m.ZD 45mm and either sold or plan to sell them all - all three were/are very good but none felt particularly special. I'm currently using the CV Nokton 17.5mm and it's also very good, but I'm yet to be convinced that it's here to stay. I've also pre-ordered the m.ZD 17/f1.8 so we'll see how that goes. If neither of the 17mm lenses get me excited I might try the m.ZD 12/f2 instead.

I also own and plan to keep the Lumix 7-14/f4, but I use it for such specific work that I wouldn't consider it part of a 'holy trinity' :smile:

20. HNM43

HNM43 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 7, 2012
    Thank you so much for all of contribution everyone giving. Just so many dilema :confused:

The problem with all of this is, my wife and I already have a Nikon set up, but adopted the MFT system because the wonderful OMD and it size, for personal and hobby uses.

So now my wife have told me that we (I) only allow invest 3 lenses in the MFT system. We both love the IQ and characteristic that the 75mm gives so that is stay. The 45mm is wonderful lens to, but I can't justify keeping it when already got the Olympus 75mm and a Nikon 85mm :frown:.

My wife and I have different style and FOV, she more close up and portrait and I like street, screen and landscape kind of shoot. Anyway I sat her down and gave her some hard choices, "If you were to take one lens with you what would it be?" kind of questions :rofl:, which came the conclusion of Panasonic 25mm f1.4 for her.

This leave me with the choice of 12mm, 17mm f1.8 or maybe 14mm. Of course I would love the 12mm but I think that just cost too much. I'm just not sure what will be the result of 17mm 1.8 right now, since it getting mix feedbacks. 14mm is because like many people said here, it seem to be a great lens for it money (plus I really want a pancake lens):biggrin:

As for Nokton lenses, I saw a youtube clip of the making of those lenses and they are beautiful, but 2 things that stop me from looking to them are the size and the cost. They are amazing lenses no question.

Will let you know when I get my trinity, and if it will workout. Plus what is our obsession with 3 :biggrin:

Anyway live in the UK around Northwest got a 25mm to sell :biggrin: