Trim ring on the 45mm Oly Lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Gary Ramey, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Just a heads up. The 45mm, my only silver lens, has a trim ring where the hood would normally go. I just received the lens and was surprised to see this piece sitting under my office desk. My guess is it fell off. I can see this piece being a very easy piece to lose. It isn't on the 60mm (black) or kit lens. So my guess is only the silver lenses will have it.
  2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    My 14-42 II R has the same trim ring. Removing it exposes the bayonet mount for the hood. Not just silver lenses.

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    A couple small pieces of double sided tape will hold it in place without a worry. I haven't had trouble with mine since I did that seven months ago.
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I've never had any problem with mine.
  5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    i used blu tack, very effective to hold it until now.
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I've had to learn different/better technique for changing lenses because of that stupid little ring.
  7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Well, I'm sitting here laughing because if it does come on the black lenses I've lost both the 12-50 and 60mm in 1 week. Not a big deal I don't guess but if I would've known, I could have taken a bit more care in swapping lenses. :)
  8. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

I lost mine the second week I have my 45mm :(
  9. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    Remove trim, put it in the box the lens came in, forget about it. Problem solved :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    I got a hood for it straight away that fits on the bayonet by removing the ring. So, mine is safely tucked away somewhere (Now where is that safe place I put all my stuff ?? :eek: :biggrin: )
  11. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Hahah, given that I don't use hoods(I just shield with my hands if flare/contrast gets really annoying) I've completely forgetten it's supposed to come off. In fact, I've maintained the blue tape that came with the lens ever since I got it back in april/may. I think it looks cooler that way, anyway =P Thanks for the heads-up though, should I remove it.
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    That's what I did. It fell off in the bag and I simply didn't notice it for a month.
  13. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I was thinking my lens was defective :)
  14. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I keep mine in my drawer of magical things, it's got company such as my long lost Canon lens cap, that appeared the day I purchased a replacement, four of the flash hotshot covers, seven or eight flash attachments, replacement synch covers for my sekonic meter, bits of string, and possibly Jimmy Hoffa's body. ;)