1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Trillium Lake and Mt Hood

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by 50orsohours, Nov 9, 2014.

1. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    • Like Like x 15
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It was a beautiful day and sunset up north of you as well, and I am hoping we get another nice sunset tomorrow, and that I have the time to get out and photograph it. I really like your second image. It would be beautiful as a large print.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  3. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Thank you! If not tomorrow, early next week suppose to be nice as well. We will go back to Smith Rock Tuesday or Wednesday while this weather lasts.

I like the second one as well, but I really dig the first one. I have a lot more shots, but I'll leave them for tomorrow to play around with.

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Those shots look great, especially the B&W rendition. But for some reason, and I don't know why, I don't really like photos of landscapes that are mirror images. With the first one, I feel that I want to throw a rock in the water before taking the shot to disrupt things a bit and in the second one I want to bring the camera level with the rocks.

5. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Maybe because I am a libra, I am fine with such shots, though not my favorites either. The B&W shot was the last one I took tonight and it was getting dark, so I did the best I could. Your idea sounds excellent, I am still learning, although I was pretty low to the ground, but I had another foot to go. Oh well, next time I will remember it. This place is only about 45 minutes from our front door. We visit it often.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The tones and the moodiness of the shots are great, they really express the grandeur of the area. I have to travel virtually overseas (Tasmania or New Zealand) to find scenery like that, so I envy you guys in the US no end. I look at these more like Yin and Yang, different but complementary, and it's the rock and water that are the Yin and Yang of the photo. So when I see these sorts of mirror images, I feel that the Yin has overlaid the Yang and suppressed the Yang. Even a small addition such as a ripple, asserts the presence and power of the Yang. If any of that makes sense.

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I can see why you like the first shot, but it seems heavier on the left, and that throws me off a bit. I wonder how it would look as a 1:1 format with cropping on the left? Very traditional I suspect, but the rest of the image seems strong enough to carry it through.

--Ken

8. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Yes it does, and normally there is some wind which will get the water looking more interesting. I actually have some of those shots from here.

PS: I used to live in Australia in 1981 - 1983 :)

With the Olympus 75-300

15721122326_f83fc0df3a_b. PB080007.jpg by savingspaces33, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  9. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'll try your suggestion tomorrow and post it here. Thanks! I can use all the help I can get.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The best years ever!

• Like Like x 1
  11. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    • Like Like x 5
  12. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    15749856621_299a08a805_b. PB080071-2 by savingspaces33, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  13. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thanks for the alternate. It's funny. I showed both to my wife, and she commented that the original was more dynamic, and that the second seemed a tad boring. I will admit to agreeing with her former comment when comparing the two (and now think that is probably a better image). But, I appreciate your willingness to taking my crop request. It's a "negative space" kind of composition, especially in comparison to the image in post #11 above (where I happen to like the symmetric rhythms), but I do not consider it boring. Either way, it makes me yearn for another long road trip in Oregon - one of my favorite ways to spend a vacation.

Thanks,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  14. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Thank you for your help. Very much appreciated.

15. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    PS: Washington is equally as beautiful as Oregon, if not more so.

16. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Exquisite lighting and composition of Mt. Hood and the lake. Well done.

17. 50orsohours

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Thank you!

18. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    True, but it always seems like the grass is greener on the other side. :wink:

--Ken

• Like Like x 1