1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Triggertrap with OMD

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shepx13, Nov 20, 2012.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Triggertrap using it with the OMD? And what you thought of it? They keep adding features to it, making it look like more of a bargain all the time.

2. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Have it. It works as advertised.

3. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    I have it. It works beautifully. I also have a gig tube transmitter and receiver and they also perform well on the E-M5.

The trigger trap combined with the E-M5's ability to update the LCD image during a long exposure are a nice combination.

4. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    Got the mobile dongle w/ Panasonic connector (CL-L1) as well as the RM-UC1 for Olympus in the mail today. Can't speak to OMD usage as mine's not arrived yet. The Triggertrap worked on a GX1 right off the bat however.

My son and I put the app on 2 iPhones and set them up as slave/ master within the home wifi and tried that out. Nice improvement over the a very short tether when using only one device. No real problems encountered during the short time we tried it. Tested the following functions: Cable Release, Timelapse, Bang and Seismic (wood floors made that easy). Briefly tried getting the Peekaboo (face recognition) working off the dog but she was less than cooperative.

Bluetooth triggering could be useful if one has a compatible A2DP supported receiver. Then a 2nd IOS device wouldn't be needed. Being able to keep a phone charged while using this for any moderate length of time might be necessary as as it appears to drain batteries pretty fast. Camera sleep settings might be tricky as well. These issues aside, it still looks like a pretty cool accessory for the price. Hope to learn more after getting better familiarized.

5. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I have to wonder - How quick is the delay when using sound activation? I could use this in a variety of ways, if it's fast enough.

6. apbtlvr

apbtlvr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    NoVa
    Rick
    It was immediate, or within a second at least. One strange thing we discovered was that the camera's on both of our iPhones triggered as well. Looks like it was shot per shot too. This may we be a result of hasty configuration on our part however. Much to work out still. My E-M5 arrived a day after and I've been all over that baby since in a major (i.e distracted) kinda way.

But as Martha would say, "That's a good thing".

7. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    Has anyone run into issues just using the shutter trigger on Triggertrap? I have an E-M5 and it will only take a picture when I have both shutter and focus on. I'm working through their documentation, but I can't seem to get the E-M5 to only do shutter. In the Triggertrap troubleshooting page (https://triggertrap.com/documentation/troubleshooting-triggertrap-mobile/) under Test 4 is says:

"Is your camera manufactured by Sony, Olympus, or Nikon?" "Yes" "Some cameras need to be triggered on the focus and shutter channels regardelss."

Is that the case for us?

8. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    My E-M5 as well only triggers with shutter and focus enabled.

9. danimal

danimal Mu-43 Supporter

Dec 31, 2012
    Oakland, California
    Dan
    That looks like the way of it. I ran through everything and its working that way. Now that I know it's easy to work with. Thanks for the reply quatchi!