1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Triggers for OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ahuyevshi, May 29, 2013.

1. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    For some reason my Yonguo triggers don't seem to work with the OM-D, but they work fine with any of my other bodies. Are the contacts different?? Anyone have recommendations for what they use?

2. mikekiwi

mikekiwi Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I assume this concerns the RF-603? I've read there was an issue with these ones and the fact that trigger and receiver are equal and the OM-D can't connect with them properly.

The RF-602's from Yongnuo should do fine. I received my Aputure triggers yesterday, haven't had the chance to test them on my OM-D however...

3. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah I think they are the 603 version. Thanks, I'll order a pair of 602 now.. It did seem off

4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I also use the RF 602 triggers without a problem but I understand the the Cactus V5 triggers can sync up to the 1/250 so it would be worth purchasing them if this is the case.

Anyone have the Cactus v5 triggers and can advise what the sync is for them???

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I guess you have either on of the Canon or Nikon versions. I fell victim to the same incompatibility, which is a result of the 603 having different pins than the ISO standard. The 602 should work properly but are separate transmitters/receivers.

FWIW, I ended up with the Cactus V5 triggers (also tranceivers, like the 603). They are IMO much more well made and, albeit more expensive, never had a problem with them.

edit: I can verify that sync speed for the V5 is 1/250 with the OMD.

6. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I'm not sure which model they are, picked them up after a long hiatus away from lighting and getting rid of my PWs and most of my lighting gear. They work fine on the 5D2, X100 and worked fined on the G5 for the short time I had it.

I'll take a look at the Cactus as well.. Thanks

7. badcatgary

badcatgary Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Denver, CO
    Jeremy
    You just need to perform a little surgery on the trigger. See this tutorial:

Better Family Photos: Yongnuo RF-603 + Olympus OM-D

If you don't want to solder, you can also short the two contacts using some copper adhesive tape. I got mine from a local crafts store and it seems to work fine on my G3.

8. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    You *can* use the RF-603s, but you have to short two of the contacts/pins together, and turn one of the units into a permanent Tx-for-m4/3-use.

The problem isn't the fit (which is what I initially assumed). The problem is that the RF-603 automatically switches between transmit/receive modes by recognizing signals on the TTL pins. And just our luck--the signal that's used for the Canon protocol just happens to be on the pin/contact that m4/3 doesn't have. (Canon and m4/3 contact/pin placement is identical--just Canon has four additional contacts aside from x-sync; m4/3 only has 3. Nikon's 3 pin/contact placement is completely different and won't make any contact, so wouldn't work, either).

If you don't want to mess with soldering irons, the RF-602s will work because they have separate Rx/Tx units altogether. But I'd actually recommend getting the Cactus V5 triggers instead. Like the 603s, they're transceiver units, so you can repurpose them, they run off AAAs (so you don't need weird non-standard batteries for the Tx), the channel selection is done by a dial, not dipswitches in the battery compartment, you can reach the on/off switch easily while a flash is mounted on the trigger, they have locking rings on the feet, and use a 3.5mm minijack sync connection, so you don't have to buy proprietary sync cables from Yongnuo with that weird three-pin Olympus connector.

9. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Thank you both... Guess I'll be soldering tonight ;) Saved me a couple of bucks.. I have 5 triggers so that works perfectly!

10. cstevens

cstevens Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 11, 2010
    UK
    I have 603's for my Nikon and they don't work, I have just got a 602 and confirm it works fine with the OM-D.

I use YN-560 III with built in receivers, these work perfectly with the OM-D and 602…..I now have a gorgeous lightweight model shoot kit now :)

11. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    A lot of people had issues because theydidn't push the USB connector in far enough!