Trigger wireless SB-600 with E-PM1 possible?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDBazooka, Oct 10, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I just read a post online somewhere about having the Nikon SB-600 flash set as slave go off with their Panasonic GF1. So my question is, can I do that with my E-PM1?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Set the SB600 to go off with another flash, and stick the little accessory flash onto the PM1's hotshoe and accessory port.

3. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Also remember that your E-PM1 won't "talk to" your SB-600, so you'll have to set the camera up for manual flash (instead of TTL), then calculate guide number and exposure settings manually.

4. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Wait a second... the SB600 won't optically slave off another flash. Is that what's being asked?

5. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    The only way I could see to do this would be to use a wireless trigger, with the receiver on the sb600.

Annoyingly though, I have just tried my skyport set with my sb800 and it failed to go off with my e-p3. I know I could use the pop up flash and trigger optically, but using this with both flashes and my studio lights would have been a bonus.

6. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Ignore me, tried it again and it was fine...

eBay is awash with cheap wireless triggers, I had one until it became unreliable.

The strobist website is excellent for articles on using a flash manually, off camera. I started with that and an old sb25 off of eBay.

7. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I guess that's what I need, a wireless trigger. I thought the flash that came with the EPM1 could be used as a commander but is that for Olympus flashes only?

8. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Must be on a different frequency to what our nikon cls is on. I just tried the flash on rc with all letter groupings on and the cycled through all the channels and it didn't fire..

Cls is notoriously fickle; have a look on strobist for cheap radio triggers, I had one of the cactus v1, things have improved in the past 3 or so years since got mine!

9. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I guess I'm totally confused. Are you guys talking about remotely firing an SB-600 using the CLS system, or with an electrical trigger? If the former, the trigger must speak the native CLS system. Outside the Nikon hardware, the only thing I know that does that is the newer pocket wizard stuff. If the latter, the SB-600 doesn't have a sync port, so you have to use a hot-shoe with sync type of adapter. But that will also work with any hot shoe flash, not just an SB-600...

...sorry for butting in, just being nosy.

10. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    I think we're exploring both options; using the olympus flash as a rc unit, thereby using CLS (which didn't work for me) or getting a wireless trigger and popping it on the hotshoe, as you say the 600 has no pc sync. The wireless trigger would therefore mean the flash was used in manual, as you say I don't believe there is a way to use CLS or I-TTL with any other wireless triggers than the newer pocket wizards.

So I think it's eBay triggers and manual control, I'm intrigued to read the original post about a panasonic that triggered this though...

11. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Yes, this only works with Olympus flashes that have the "R" suffix: FL-50R, FL-36R and FL-300R. Your on-board flash can be set (in the camera settings) to command those external Olympus flash units to emit the proper amount of light for the shot as measured through the camera's lens (TTL flash).

There are several Metz flash units that are specifically manufactured to work the same way with Olympus cameras, too. But I don't believe any other brands make a flash that can be used the same way on Olympus cameras. Just Metz and Oly.

Other flash units from other manufacturers that can fire as slave units when they see your on-camera flash (the SB-600 is one of these, IIRC) will fire, but you'll have to set them to slave mode, then adjust them manually to emit whatever amount of light you want from them. And you'll have to adjust your camera exposure settings manually to accommodate their light plus the light from your on-camera flash.

If you don't have a Metz or Olympus flash that works with Oly TTL, the simplest solution (IMO) is to forget about using on-board flash entirely and use a set of radio triggers for your off-camera flashes instead. But you'll have to set exposure manually when you do this.

EDIT: someone above mentioned Pocket Wizards, and while these will respond properly to Nikon and Canon TTL exposure commands, Olympus cameras don't speak the Pocket Wizards command language.

12. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Thanks, I just did a google search and what I'm looking for is "SU-4" (flash light sensor) mode which apparently the SB-600 doesn't support.