Trigger voltages of flash units

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by angloasturian, Jul 6, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

I posted a thread earlier about LED camera/video lights because I had read that using an older unit could be dangerous owing to high trigger values which could damage a digital camera's circuits. Since then I have found this very comprehensive list which could be invaluable if you're thinking of using an old flash unit. I've just bought an E-P1 to go with my E-PL1 and, as it doesn't have a flash (or a socket - just the hotshoe) I was thinking of using one of my old units (Sunpak GX17 or Argus Automatic 9138). It turns out that both have extremely high values and would probably have 'fried' my camera. So if you have any flash units not specifically designed for digital cameras - CHECK here before using one. I hope this is of some help.

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Colin,
    Be not 100% trusting of the list.
    The Nikon SB22s is rated on the list as under 6 volts.
    I tested mine a few times and it hit 11.2 a few times.
    It could hit the high end if sitting, fully charged and not fired for a spell. I think for the most part the list is close but I never trust anything 100%.

• Like Like x 2
  3. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

List

Many thanks Don. Apart from the fact that I hate flash and hardly ever use it except when absolutely necessary, I now wouldn't dream of using anything except a flash designed specifically for digital cameras - but I'm not paying the prices they're asking (FL14 - 150 USD!) for something I'll hardly ever use. I'm considering a wireless trigger so I can use my present units. Any thoughts?

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    The Wein Safety Sync solves all the problems.
    Even an old 283 works ok.

• Like Like x 4