Trigger External flash with GF1 - problem!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by just4fun, Nov 3, 2010.

1. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi
    I have 3 lights setup (White Lightning X3200)
    If I use GF1 internal flash to trigger X3200, I always get dark shot (no matter what setting on GF1) so far, I tried "force flash, Auto flash, red eye on, 2nd curtain sync etc... but no luck!
    But if I mount an external Canon or any other flash on hot shoe (Canon Flash set to manual mode, of course) then it properly trigger those X3200 perfectly in sync.
    So, it looking like there is NO WAY to set internal flash in GF1 to manual ? GF1 internal flash is working on TTL only? (No manual)
    Or anybody have a better idea how to use internal GF1 flash to trigger strobes lights?
    Thanks
    Sonny

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You can adjust the intensity of the flash on page 2 of the REC menu (in anything other than iA mode)

3. minh0204

minh0204 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2010
    OK I'm confused. So you used the flash on the GF1 to trigger your WL optically? That won't work because of the TTl pre-flash.

Radio triggers will work nicely but you stuck at 1/180 shutter speed.

4. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    Sadly, No it won't work with ANY setting :(

Yes, I was about to do that (use optical slave on strobes that trigger by inter flash)
    Like I said in the 1st post, external flash or radio trigger on hotshoe will work but I prefer not to (for compact reason and EVF)

I have read somewhere, a good review site said "good thing about GF1 is it has internal flash, meaning you can use it to trigger external strobe light"
    I can see it's not the case here :(
    Please help if you have any trick to do it.
    Thanks
    Sonny

5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Do you mean you can't find the menu function, or when you dial in adjustment it doesn't make any difference?

6. just4fun

just4fun Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2010
    Yes sir, I dialed many setting and it still won't work properly, not sure if I am missing something but to me it looks like I can't use internal flash to trigger external flash (of course at the right speed)
    The Flash menu will have "Force Flash" (Flash always fire) and auto (Depends on condition) - also, redeye reduction and 2nd curtain sync... so far, I tried them all but none of them working for me (at all speed: from 1/30 to 1/180)

Can some friends give it a try and confirm with me?
    Thanks
    Sonny

7. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    This is an old thread, but I'm posting a reply based on my recent similar experience. I think minh0204 already pointed out the culprit. I suspect your off-camera external flashes synchronize with GF1's TTL pre-flash, effectively setting off the flashes before the shutter opens, thus resulting in underexposure. The fact that using a Canon flash in manual mode as the master (i.e., no pre-flash) does not result in underexposure is consistent with that suspicion.

I think the only solution is if your external flashes can synchronize with the pre-flash. My Nissin Di466, for example, has such function. It has two slave modes - so it can synchronize with either a pre-flash or the main flash. If your external flashes don't, you are out of luck.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I believe I know why

I'm 90% sure I know what's causing your problem. Most of Panasonic's cameras use a very "preflash" (short / low power) to calculate the exposure for flash photos. It's not perceivable to the eye. Your slave flashes are triggering to the "preflash", and consequently out of sync.

I had an older Panasonic flash that also had a slave mode where it would trigger from the camera flash. On my old "LC5" it worked great, but on later subsequent models it did the very same thing you describe. I'm told that B&H sells a slave trigger device that can trigger on the 2nd flash (the primary). I never purchased it or tried it, but I have seen it mentioned in a few discussions.