1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Tried to Drown My EM-5 and EM-1 Today - Didn't Work!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnewell, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My younger son's last regular season crew race was this morning in a pretty heavy rainstorm. Over the years I have gotten much more into the "it's just a tool" mindset, so the EM-5 and EM-1 with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-200/2.8 were left to fend for themselves. Both were completely soaked, dripping wet. No problems at all, then or since. :thumbup: I realize that not everyone will find near-immersion waterproofing useful, but I do.

I do have one problem, though. I can't find the Lightroom setting to correct for raindrops in the picture? :confused: :biggrin: (The shutter speed on this one was 1/640th, which says something about the visible raindrop streaks.)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Pleased everything is working as usual....

3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Wow, so glad. I clicked on this thread worried it was some poor chap with two dead bodies. Great that they are still alive!

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I was truly amazed, to be honest. I've had the EM-5 in heavy mist/light drizzle but been able to keep it under a jacket mostly and therefore keep it fairly dry. These two were just out on neckstraps, getting really rained on. The two Panasonic zooms and both OM-D bodies were absolutely fine. :cool: Just edited the thread title so it's more accurate, though. :wink:

5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

I wouldn't expect anything else! I shot with the E-M5+35-100 multiple days morning to evening in heavy rain with the camera out all the time - no issues whatsoever - and mine has the cracked screen bezel. I dipped it in mud a few times, bumped it on rocks while climbing out of a cave... And that's the E-M5 - E-M1 should be able to take more abuse and more rain and I hope to test it soon. OK they don't feel as solid to the touch as some DSLRs, but I finally manned up and stopped babying them - because I have the confidence that they will keep shooting.