Tried to Drown My EM-5 and EM-1 Today - Didn't Work!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnewell, Apr 26, 2014.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    My younger son's last regular season crew race was this morning in a pretty heavy rainstorm. Over the years I have gotten much more into the "it's just a tool" mindset, so the EM-5 and EM-1 with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 and 35-200/2.8 were left to fend for themselves. Both were completely soaked, dripping wet. No problems at all, then or since. :thumbup: I realize that not everyone will find near-immersion waterproofing useful, but I do.

I do have one problem, though. I can't find the Lightroom setting to correct for raindrops in the picture? :confused:  :biggrin: (The shutter speed on this one was 1/640th, which says something about the visible raindrop streaks.)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  2. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Pleased everything is working as usual....

3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Wow, so glad. I clicked on this thread worried it was some poor chap with two dead bodies. Great that they are still alive!

4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I was truly amazed, to be honest. I've had the EM-5 in heavy mist/light drizzle but been able to keep it under a jacket mostly and therefore keep it fairly dry. These two were just out on neckstraps, getting really rained on. The two Panasonic zooms and both OM-D bodies were absolutely fine. :cool:  Just edited the thread title so it's more accurate, though. :wink:

5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

I wouldn't expect anything else! I shot with the E-M5+35-100 multiple days morning to evening in heavy rain with the camera out all the time - no issues whatsoever - and mine has the cracked screen bezel. I dipped it in mud a few times, bumped it on rocks while climbing out of a cave... And that's the E-M5 - E-M1 should be able to take more abuse and more rain and I hope to test it soon. OK they don't feel as solid to the touch as some DSLRs, but I finally manned up and stopped babying them - because I have the confidence that they will keep shooting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.