Tried Sony A7II

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Steven, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Finally tried the Sony system for an afternoon. I was always curious about it. It seemed great to have the big sensor in a body no bigger than m43. Sony had an event where they lent gear out for the afternoon. They had all sorts of bodies but I decided to try the A7II because I don't see myself getting the more expensive A7R/S types. There was quite a selection of lenses to try too, but I had to pick one. I decided to get a prime so I could finally see how much blur I could get with a full frame sensor. I heard good things about Sony/Zeiss 55mm/1.8 so that's the one I took.
    I think the body I got was broken in some way. It kept buzzing like the cleaning system was getting activated and some photos had darkened sides like the sensor was crooked. Some photos also seemed like plane of focus was off. Oh well..
    The viewfinder sensor was too sensitive. I literally could not use the tilty screen because it would shut off as I was raising it. I was really missing the pull out screen of the EM5II.
    I know this is not the best Sony sensor, but I really liked the results. Definitely a different color signature than Olympus/m43. Vibrant but in a nice way. Colors seem deeper and richer than m43. There seems to be some sort of yellow/green tint to the RAW files, but again, quite pleasant. Zeiss 55mm lens was sharp but not really better than the best m43 lenses.
    All in all, I liked it. I could see myself using the Sony A7 if all I needed was a few (portable) bright primes.
    Some photos:
    p2463534948-4.

p2463509680-4.

p2452319774-4.

p2442948250-4.

p2442937873-4.

p2441884836-4.

p2441851515-4.

p2441487824-4.

p2441453331-4.

There is something weird going on with this photo. Should there not be more background blur at F1.8 on a full frame sensor??
    p2440747854-4.

p2440550432-4.

p2440464351-4.

p2440492509-4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Christop82

Christop82 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    The images really pop and the colors are nice. The fourth one almost looks like the lens is decentered, but might just be the angle. I picked up a nex 7 to give sony a try. So far I really like it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stagor

stagor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    Sorry guys, but I don't agree, the colours look fine, but to me they all look soft, not sharp subjects, in the first shot the woman with the telephone looks out of focus, but the edge of the green table looks to be sharp.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Something is definitely up with that camera/lens combo. Just look at the first image. The bench on this side of the table appears to be in focus, the girl sitting at the table is out of focus, but then all the way on the far right side of the image, it looks like the pagoda and foliage are back to being in-focus.

Very bizarre. I agree though, the A7 is nice if you want to use some prime lenses, and their f/1.8's are pretty reasonably sized and priced (like the 50 & 85, not the 55 Zeiss). I always thought it would be a fun camera to have and shoot adapted vintage glass on, especially with the IBIS. Even if it's only good for 2 stops, it's better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. genesimmons

genesimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 12, 2017
    i have an original a7, the files it produces are amazing, so flexible in light room or other processing, i can pull shadows out of a black image and they are clean, i have a few adapters for canon lenses but the original a7 was never known for fast focus anyways, i mostly use it with old minolta manual lenses and i am happy with that, they work great and are sharp as hell, the view finder is bigger than my em1.2 and a little laggy compared but again they are different animals for different jobs, i luv my sony and would never sell it unless i got another one haha

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    That one is a focusing error on my part. I still like the photo though so I included it :)
    Most of these could probably have benefited from being stopped down. I 've never used a full frame system so I didn't pay as much attention to it. Also, I wanted to see how blurry the full frame blur/bokeh could be :)

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I have an A7 II which I have a love/hate relationship with. I love the fact it's one of the most versatile cameras for adapting lenses at their full potential. I adapt all my Nikon MF and AF glass and a few of my M mount lenses. I have no native glass for it. You can also get the Techart Pro adapter that auto focuses almost any lens.

The hate part is due to the horrendous body and interface. The eye sensor is too sensitive, the camera actually weighs more than my Nikon DSLRs when fully mounted, the battery life is weak and image output while good, isn't nearly as clean or vibrant as my Nikon FF images SOOC.

The A9 solves most my issues, except in price. If I'm spending 4 grand plus, I might as well get the upcoming 45mp/9fps Nikon D850 rumored to be released!

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Completely understandable, I guessed that. It was clear you was having fun off the bat with a new system and it was interesting seeing how you got on.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    I think I'll look for a second hand A7 and try to play with it for a while. I think m43 is way more consistent as a system, but I definitely feel the attraction for mirrorless FF.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I love full frame. I tried to get out of it several times but keep coming back. But one of the things you mentioned about meeting shallow Depth of field effects speaks to one of the challenges. Sure you can get beautiful blurred backgrounds, but then your subject's out of focus. You can stop down to get a sharper subject, but then you lost some of the blurred background (and depending on the lens, could introduce more geometric bokeh balls) It really is a specialty tool. And certainly has its place. But so does M43, and I think that's why they complement each other so well.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    The D850 will be a major disappointment, you only get more megapixels and that's about it. You'd be better off using the same amount of money and getting the "hall of famer" D500 (sports, action) and the D810 (weddings, landscape).

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    For those who need it, 9fps with a FF body and high megapixels is pretty impressive. Why get a D500 and D810 when you can get both in one body? Either way, I have no plans getting either! :D