Tried Pentax K3ii - very impressive

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tomO2013, Apr 26, 2015.

1. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    I've never really considered Pentax whenever I was looking for a camera and I don't know why. I guess it might be a brand awareness thing? The K3 cameras are excellent and image quality is as good as a D7100 or D7200.

Nevertheless, I had the chance to try the new K3ii over the weekend at a camera show and I was seriously impressed with all the innovative technology packed within it - particularly it's new multi-res shot mode and simulated AA filter (shakes the sensor slightly to simulate an AA filter and remove moire!).

While the EM5ii uses the sensor shift to generate a higher resolution 40mp image, the Pentax engineers do a similar sensor shift (4 ways instead of 8 way on the EM5mkii) and spit out a 24mp image that has more resolvable detail than the standard 24mp image but also significantly more colour accuracy and less noise than the non sensor shift standard 24mp image. The engineer doing the demo said that the technology was closer to getting the effect of a foveon sensor in terms of resolvable detail and colour accuracy. The difference in output quality was substantial on the samples that we were shown and the demo that was performed.
    Again it's best used with static subjects so probably more of a limited usage tech demo than anything. However I came away from the demo wishing that Olympus had gone this direction instead of the 40mp route on the Em5ii. For the most part it appeared to be less finicky about camera movement than the Em5ii solution to the point that it could be used hand held in the demo!

Some of the lenses looked beautifully built and weather sealed too, but there didn't appear to be much fast glass available on the floor.

Has anybody here got an Pentax K3 system or shot one? What's the general concensus and also the opinions on good glass availability. It appears to be a system that offers huge bang for the buck.

2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    I had a K5ii and absolutely loved it, except the AF speed (CAF in particular was relatively poor). The K3 was supposed to be better, but tests I've seen showed it still lagged far behind Nikon and Canon. IQ, ergonomics, etc ... were fantastic. I came back to m43 more for size than anything else, although some of their limited primes are tiny.

The price of the K3II is phenomenal for what is packed into the body. My 7th grader wants to take photography at school and I will probably get her a Pentax kit because prices are so low (seen a few K7's for $100 or so).