Triathlon Portrait With The E-M5 and FL-600R

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by klee, Aug 28, 2014.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    Hi all, just wanted to share some portraits from my humble home studio set up. I was inspired by a friend who shoots professionally for magazines in New York and wanted to try replicating some portraits at home with my M43 gear.

• For the camera I used an EM5, Olympus 25mm f1.8 and Olympus 17mm f1.8. In retrospect I'm thinking that I could have gotten slightly more detail with the 12-40mm f2.8 though. I'm also starting to think that 16 Megapixels is a little limiting.
    • For lighting, I used the Olympus FL600R and a silver rain umbrella for key lighting and in some shots I added the clip on flash for fill.

Post processing was done in LR5.

Feedback is welcome, thanks for looking!
    ISO200; 25mm; f5.6;
    P8150055-002.
    ISO200; 17mm; f3.5;
    P8270019-2-2.
    ISO200; 17mm; f3.5;
    P8270014-1.

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Nice shots. I wouldn't worry about the Mp number, unless you intend to print those on anything quite larger...

To my (untrained) eye, the only things i noticed were the placement of the subject in the first pic (i'd rather leave a bit more space on the left side and cut some on the right, in order to reflect the direction he's looking at) and cutting it a bit more above (or below) the knees in other pics . just my two cents. Thx for sharing

sent from my Xperia Z

• Like Like x 1
  3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    They look good and fit the nature of the subject. The thing hanging over the face in the first shot should have ben removed, even if it is a part of the gear worn.

• Like Like x 1
  4. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    great points. I thought the same thing. I had some undesirable objects in the background that needed to be cropped out. I guess these are the problems with using your home as a studio without a proper backdrop :/

5. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    yeah it's quite distracting. thanks!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    The general concept with the placement of the face, or many subjects for that matter, is that you always leave more space between the leading edge (the face) and what it's pointed towards. Similarly, if you had a car moving from left to right, you leave more space on the right than the left. It's not a hard and fast rule, but generally you won't go wrong if you keep it in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Yes the strap on his face and balance to the side bother me in the first, but I just wish my abs looked like that.