1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Trey Ratcliff is experimenting with NEX on a trip

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by dav1dz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The experiment is over. Ratcliff is switching from Nikon to NEX for the bulk of his work. A key self-quote:

“‘To take an interesting photo, some may choose to carry around a lot of metal and glass and mirrors and silicon. I choose to carry around less metal and glass and silicon. Oh, and no mirrors.’ – Me, quoting myself.” – Trey Ratcliff

Interesting that Ratcliff chose NEX over something like the OM-D or GH3 as among his list of "Where the Nikon system is better" he mentions weather-sealing and lens selection, both of which are areas in which :43: comes out ahead of NEX. In the end, it appears (reading between the lines) that it's the marginally larger 24MP sensor that made the NEX his choice.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I watched an extensive TWiP interview on his YouTube channel about it.

When he switched he didn't really care which brand/sensor, whatever. He just wanted a smaller package.

Though he does mention that MFT users are cult-like.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNat4hAOOY]Sony NEX vs. Nikon and Canon - This Week in Photo Interview with Trey Ratcliff - YouTube[/ame]

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I saw the same interview (which was posted in another thread here), although I didn't watch the whole thing, I did see the section regarding :43: which starts around the 15 minute mark.

Given that :43: also offers a smaller package than a FF Nikon (although the NEX bodies are marginally more compact, the lenses are by and large slightly larger) AND the system offers solutions to at least two of his stated areas where the NEX underperforms relative to Nikon, you would think that he would have given it serious consideration before jumping into a system switch which he acknowledges he didn't enter into lightly.

Perhaps he did do so, but in the end he chose NEX. He does address the point briefly in his earlier post saying, "The micro-four-thirds are another very good system. There are also a lot more lenses available for that system rather than Sony’s new E-Mount system. But, I just really like the NEX-7 better than any of the micro-four-thirds cameras right now. Note all of that could change relatively quickly. But, really, the micro-four-thirds cameras are just fine and really cool. There are a lot more manufacturers making cameras and lenses for that system, and I know it has a huge following."

In the end, it appears that his choice was more related to the actual NEX bodies.

Anyway, I think it's a positive development to see another high-profile photog switching to mirrorless (regardless of the particular system he chose). His exceptance that the SLR form factor is not the "be all, end all" may convince a few consumers to check out mirrorless as well which will increase the likelihood that the :43: format will survive.