Trey Ratcliff Article

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by guzziknight, Jan 4, 2012.

1. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Excellent article, thanks!
  4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Interesting. A bit OTT, but accurate enough. This old fart film user skipped the DSLR completely without feeling I had missed anything. Of course, I was also waiting for the new/obsolete cycle to slow down to a semi-sane level ;)
  5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Huh??? When did that happen??? :biggrin:
  6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    It will be interesting to see what Canon does. I think Nikon's decision to use as small a sensor in the V1/J1 as they did was as much about protecting the APS-C DSLR market as it was about building a small ILC.
    Be nice to see Canon jump in with both feet the way Sony did.
  7. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Compared to where it was a decade ago? It has. It's still too fast, but I can ignore it again since I've made a choice. :lol:
  8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Oh man that's going to annoy the DPR forum people.
  9. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I agree with the sentiment that it's not worth investing any more money in DSLR bodies or lenses, but I think it's too early to be writing off the capabilities of DSLR cameras. For action and low light, I still turn to my dinosaur 5D and 40D cameras.
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    If you look at all of the m4/3 bodies from the past and compare them to the current offerings, none are truly obsolete. Image quality is pretty consistent, especially with raw image files. There are only a few bodies that stand out from the crowd, notably the Panasonic GH's and a couple of others with a nominal increase in resolution.

Every one has their favorite, but no real obsolescence yet.

11. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Sure, but that's a function of the sensor size and capability, and the AF technology in the camera. There's nothing intrinsic about the SLR format that makes those cameras good in those areas.
    I'd love to have the 5D II functionality in a slightly bigger Nex 7 style package. Especially if they designed some lenses, the wide primes particularly, to take advantage of the mirror-less format.
  12. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Well, there are still people using film and view cameras today and they're really big and heavy so I somehow doubt that the SLR, either film or digital, is dead.

People said the same thing about vinyl records when CDs were introduced but CD sales are now dropping and LP sales are on the increase. LPs may have been down but they definitely weren't out, and there's no reason to think any different about the SLR. As technology changes faster and faster, the fashion for retro seems to get stronger. What could be more retro than an SLR in a world going mirrorless? "Quaint" technology will always have a following, and the ability to attract new followers.

It's never good to assume that the world is heading in the same direction you are. Different people always head off in different directions because we can never all agree on the way to go. There's no one direction that will ever suit everyone but whenever something new comes along one always finds early adopters proclaiming the demise of the old. Such predictions are never completely correct.

You just watch the SLR manufacturers find ways of keeping the SLR in the game for quite a while yet.
  13. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Even if Canon release mirrorless APS-C or FF system it will likely have on-sensor PDAF like Nikon 1. That means the current lenses will work just fine. The main advantage of mirrorless is LiveView not size, IMO (and I heard PDAF Video C-AF is great even in low light).
    Also, for Olympus it should be a top priority to release a body with on-sensor PDAF so that all 4/3 lenses can work like they're supposed to. That way they can truly complete the transition and finally kill off this 4/3 zombie to focus on m43 only (including releasing larger m43 bodies for better ergonomics).
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I still have a 4/3 zombie at my place. It takes nice pictures when it's not trying to eat my brain.