Travelling with one prime

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
It’s quite liberating. I’ve done 3 months in Europe twice with X100's. Some of the best keeper rates I’ve ever had. When I don’t have the “correct” focal length, I'm forced to get creative.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
For Cities I'd take the 14mm + GWC1 on my Gx85. For the "wilds" I'd take my Oly 60mm.

But I am a zoom guy and the Oly 9-18/75-300II when I travel with the Gx85 is what I take.

In the past I have taken the P14 and O45 - with the P14 being used about 90% of the time. I now have an O25, but I think it's just a bit too tight for a one lens solution for travel (OK for street though). From my existing line up the P14, but if I could choose anything, probably the O17 1.8, though I don't have that.

snegron

Mu-43 Regular
I recently did exactly that (sort of); I took a road trip and used one prime lend 95% of the time. It was a 24mm f2.8 prime lens on my Nikon D650 body. While it was technically not an m4/3 outfit, the focal lenght is what I'm assuming you asking about.

Whatever translates to 24mm in m4/3 is what I would use. My only somewhat wide prime in m43 is a Panasonic 14mm f2.5. I found that it was not wide enough for my shooting preference (24mm on a full frame).

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
Since I got an Olympus 25mm that’s pretty much the only lens I have been using 95% of the time (I took 2 weeks of vacation and I do not miss my 12-40 zoom). To be 100% honest a couple of time I needed a wider lens, however I just took 2 shots and merged them in LR :)

doady

Mu-43 Regular
A 12mm or 14mm probably would be my favourite for landscape or architecture or street. Prime is probably better for street, attract less attention. Prime could also be better for travel in general, less weight to carry. I think I would still prefer traveling with my 12-100mm but maybe I wouldn't mind a Pro 12mm or 14mm either, if Olympus ever came out with one.

SamMShone

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam Shone
For me it would be the Pana-Leica 25mm F1.4 which seems to be a popular choice on here! I use this lens most of the time and usually when I travel it is the only lens I take. For me sticking with a single prime has really helped me to develop my photography. I really love the idea of just focusing on the image rather than worrying about which focal length is appropriate and then fumbling around to change lenses.

I also own the Pana-Leica 15mm F1.7. This is also a fantastic lens and so compact. It would be a close 2nd place for me but I think in general I prefer the 50mm equivalent focal length tha I get from the PL25mm Fl.4.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Claude
In my Canon days, I used a Rebel SL1 as travel camera, and carried 2 lenses: a 24mm-2.8 and a 40mm-2.8, both pancake lenses and very compact. And in fact I used the 24mm for 90% of the photos... So I could have had only the 24mm. However the 40 is so small it is no chore to bring it along.
This Canon SL1 is APS-C with crop factor of 1.6, so 24mm is equivalent to 40mm in FF or to 20mm in M4/3.

In my M4/3 gear, my main prime is an Oly 17mm-2.8 on a GM5. So slightly wider than the 24mm on the Canon. This makes an extremely small, light and versatile camera, and could at the limit be sufficient when travelling light. But I'd probably still bring along the 2 kit lenses (12-32 and 35-100)...

In any case, my focal of choice for "travelling with one prime" would be between 35 and 40mm (equivalent FF), so between 17mm and 20mm in M4/3. And interestingly, most fixed-lens cameras of older days were exactly there (well there were also some in the 40-45mm range). So this is not very original.

Then, for deciding between O17-2.8, O17-1.8, O17-1.2, Sigma 19-2.8, or P20-1.7, it would become a decision based on price, availability, weight/size...
For my part, I got a good deal for the O17-2.8, and I'm quite pleased with it (even if it is not considered as a great lens by most experts).

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Older thread but I'll add to the fun.

The closest I've come to this is taking the X70 with the WCL to Washington / Oregon several years ago. It worked out well, but I made the decision to only take this knowing there would be things i would miss. We had thought to try and go to a baseball game, but they were away. We did go to a zoo. A 28mm is not the best option for either. But for most of the things we did it was great and a bit liberating.

2017 Vacation Seattle Portland

Koru

Mu-43 Regular
I've been really tempted by the Foveon cameras lately, but what's holding me back is the limited dynamic range. It looks way too easy to blow highlights. I'm interested to hear about your experiences!
You will go to sleep after starting almost any function. Compared with m4/3. After the shot, hopefully you don't drift off before the image is finally on the card.
I do quite enjoy using it from time to time, and with work, images can be very good. I have always had trouble correcting WB though.
Don

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom