Traveling Light....

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Once a year, I go with my buddy George on a week long trip in the American Southwest. As I was packing for this years trip I realized why I fell in love with M43. about 10 years ago I packed my D200 and Tamron 90mm in a smallish low pro bag (just fit, bought it in Fry's a day before the trip).

Last three trips have had an EP5 & two kit lens and Mcon1 in the same bag. This year it's my Gx8, 12-35, 75-300II, and Canon 500D. That's 24-600mm and 1:1 macro capability in the same bag at about the same weight as one camera and one focal length. BTW if you have a Gx8 and bemoan the fact that is doesn't have 5 axis for video, try the 1080 60 FPS where you get a type of 5 axis with an IS lens, just a touch of Mercalli and you have steady cam type footage when walking.

The only real hard choice is between the 12-35 or 9-18, but we are mostly in the mountains or desert so the 12mm should be wide enough. I take very light travel tripod for those few times I will want to do tripod macro or video through the 75-300. At my age (66), the size of m43 lenses is the factor that allows me to hike and do the kind of imaging I want. I don't take my PL100-400 because as small as it is, it is still too big for what I need on a trip like this.

I'll take 3 batteries (and car charger) and two 128 Gig cards and I should be set for 7 days of morning till dusk shooting. I've found the LowPro bags with the weather cover really good in dust storms, and been using this bag for a long time (bought a new one that is similar but just a bit small, would have to take the 9-18 and not the 12-35 to fit camera and lenses.

One of things that has changed when I travel is I now have the Gx8 manual on my phone and have set up my 3 C setting for my most common uses (way to complex to remember when imaging a snake 4 or 5 ' away from you). M43 has made a difference in the way I feel when I travel - I no longer have regrets about what I had to leave at home - and that makes the trip more enjoyable for me and I end up with no regrets about images that I could have but didn't get.

DoofClenas

Who needs a Mirror!
Real Name
Clint
My travel light kit is an epm2 with a 20mm and 3 batteries. Lasts me a day but weighs only 1lbs. My heavy kit consists of the em1ii 150 w ec20, ec14 in my bag. Attached to the outside of the bag I have a manfrotto cf tripod with Acratech head and the 12-40 and 7.5 rok. Add to that an extra battery and I'm weighing in at 10lbs + (or so). My "everyday" kit is the em1ii 12-40 and 75mm. It's only about 4lbs. It all just depends on what I want to shoot for the day.

Last edited:

lookmore

Mu-43 Regular
The 12-50 is the nicest lens I have for hiking and using the camera the whole day long without the need for another lens. Just in case, I would pack a fast prime for low-light situations though.

Last edited:

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
My heavy kit consists of the em1ii 150 w ec20, ec14 in my bag.
When you consider the equivalent focal lengths and aperture combined with IQ when using the TCs, it really is prettt light.

About to head out with my heavy kit I guess, it's my now typical field setup.

EM1 gripped, Little Tuna, Bigma, ec14/20, 7.5, 17/2.8.

That's just the gear. My Fstop Lotus probably weighs 35-40lbs with the gear plus 100oz water bladder plus my small first aid and survival kit, drop cloth, camo burlap, pvc poles, binoculars (bringing these for first time today), plus various small things in the bag.

Edit- forgot to add the MeFoto tripod, gimbal, skimmer pod, and small ball head

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is my APS-C to m4/3 travel change.
Olympus E-M1 + Panasonic 12-60 on the left, vs. Nikon D7200 + 18-140 on the right.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

For a senior citizen on a non-stop 2 week vacation, the significant weight reduction was really appreciated.
As you can see, it also packed into a much smaller space.

The EM10 would have been even lighter and more compact.

The companion low light lens was the small Olympus 17/1.8. Which it turned out I used very little.
I also took the 40-150R, since it was so light, but like the 17, it was used very little.
An alternative is the 14-150 as the primary lens, which would replace both the 12-60 and 40-150R.

The only negative, was/is the battery. Where the battery in the D7200 could easily last 2+ DAYS, the battery in the EM1 would last about 4 HOURS of continuous/heavy use. That meant I had to carry 3 batteries (I should have taken 4), and 2 chargers, and charge the batteries in 2 shifts.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
My walking-around kit - today, for instance - E-M1, 12/2.0, 45/1.8 - doesn't even require a camera bag, although I'll usually use a TT Hubba Hubba Hiney. With a spare battery and extra card it's well under 2 lbs or 1 kg.

Went to Africa with a heavy kit: E-M1+E-M1.2, 100-400, 40-150/2.8+TC, 12-35/2.8, 17/1.8, 6 extra batteries, 4 chargers, Western Digital Wireless Pro backup disk, ~15 extra cards, sling straps, wrist bands, 3- 58mm round filters. All weighed about 20 lbs packed in a TT Airport Essentials (well, most of it, anyway). I couldn't have carried the equivalent in DX or FX kit for reach (24-800mm equivalent with reasonable backup) within our weight limit. Unless I packed no clothes at all.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom