Travel + Wildlife Tripod - What do you use?

Robert Watcher

Mu-43 All-Pro
I don’t use a tripod often, but I carry a small one that fits inside my pack pack - for those times I want to use Live Composite, or take long exposures. I’ve had the relatively inexpensive ($70) Manfrotto Compact Action tripod for a couple of years now, and it has held up to the challenging weather elements and bouncing around it gets with living, traveling and photographing in Central America.

It’s not massively strong, but suits my needs. Here is my E-M1 with pretty heavy 11-22mm four thirds lens, in portrait position.

1C962C8A-401A-4906-9BA5-9CAD39F52C91.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day to day, I leave my camera bag at home and take what I need in an inexpensive Swissgear backpack. The tripod zips into the centre pocket
0EC5C0BB-2509-4E48-9A69-87F228291F47.jpeg

Using the Manfrotto tripod when shooting a time-lapse video of clouds moving through the mountains.

FB4C3ABF-10D0-4995-9F33-A8F97936D54D.jpeg

Last edited:

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I also agree that tripods are a mix of compromises. I have a few super light and compact carbon fiber that are great when flying. On a road trip I usually bring several as I also have dedicated video tripods and often setup a time lapse.

For wildlife, unless I have the room and time to setup, I’m usually working handheld, even for video. Far too often for me my subjects are moving too quickly and the trails or boardwalks too narrow to setup a tripod.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom