1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Travel, what would you take?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Danny_Two, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    Im off for a couple of months, but can't decide what lenses to take with my G1.

The 20mm is coming no question, but can't decide between the 14-45 and the 9-18. I love the oly's width and perspective but can't help thinking a bit of zoom will be very useful. Really only want take two lenses but don't know what will be less used.

Thoughts?

2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    where are you going, and what type of things do you like to shoot?

3. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    For a few months, I'd take both zooms, for sure occasions will arise for each.

4. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I only have the Pany 14-45 and don't have the Oly 9-18 but I would guess that it would be harder to achieve the wider perspective compared to the ease of "manually zooming in" by walking towards the subject. :)

5. sherlock

sherlock Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2011
    I'd take the 9-18mm and the 20mm. 9-18 for landscapes/streetscapes, the 20mm for everything else. I say this because 20mm is pretty darned good on MFT for most stuff (food, people, etc.) and 9-18 will give you a bit of width for buildings/etc. should you need it.

Hard to say for sure without knowing what you like to shoot though.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Personally, with lenses that small, I just think it's crazy not to take both, if you have them. Having said that...

If you're going to choose only one then it should always be the longer one. You can always take multiple exposures and stitch with a longer lens but not the other way around.

Gordon

7. 9-20mm is a pretty tight range of focal lengths to carry. Given how small they are I'd be taking all three to give just a little more reach when you want it.

8. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I should of said, Ill be backpacking across the US, NZ and Australia, so size and weight is an issue, and not going to take more than two lenses, i'm actually looking at the 14-45 and thinking it's a bit big, and I hardly use it anyway.

Im also thinking whether to just take the 20mm on its own.
    Ill probably take the little S95 to, and tiny alloy tripod.

:confused:

9. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Instead of you, I would take both zooms, the package is tiny compared with a DSLR+1 zoom and a lot of people have and are taking along DSLRs on backpacking trips.

10. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    If you hardly use the 14-45 then don't bring it! You know your own style of photography better than we do. I'm with you on preferring the wider stuff generally.

Enjoy, it sounds like a great trip : )

11. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i say go minimal and take just the 20mm.
    let your feet do the zooming in or out.
    just another opinion...

12. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    What do you use now? That is what I would take. Actually, like Flyer, I would be very comfortable with only the 20mm.

13. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    I'd second that, with the option of the 9-18 over the 14-45.
    20 to 45 is my least used range so would go with the w/a every time, but would take 20mm if it was down to one lens only.

14. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    My last big trip I found I used my 14-54 (I was using an E520 at the time) most fo the time despite having both a 40-150 and a fast 50 legacy prime along as well. It was an incredibly useful focal length. That said, on my next trip with my m43 I'll take both my Panasonic 20 and the 14-45 because together they are a pretty small package.

15. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Modern gear packed with nostalgia...

I voted for the Pany, but mostly because the f/5.6 long setting on the Oly is really too dark. With a f/5.6 lens one would like a D3s sensor, not our Tri-X like (ISO 320~800)...

For now, one lens won't do it all. Or the 20/1.7 alone if pushed hard, or broke. For now it's Panasonic 7-14, 40, 45-200 (*), no strobe but a Minolta Leica-style table tripod and a mylar rescue blanket (silver/gold). And a 52mm polarizer--I immediately converted the 40/1.7 to 52 thread with a 52/46 step-up ring, and added a convenient Nikon 45 lenshood.

Everything fits neatly in an old Polaroid "Image System" quite small bag (I guess it came from Tenba's), where I used to pack all my Leica M6 survival gear: two bodies (B&W + K-chrome...) 21/3.5 S-A, 35/2.0, 75/1.4. Same bag fits perfectly in my smallish motorbike petrol tank luggage.

Funny: when I compare the Leica and :43: gear, little has changed in the choices.

* Wouldn't mind changing this one for a faster prime, or moderate zoom, but with AF or some automatic switch to MF magnification.

16. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'd take all three.

17. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I would take the 20 and a 45-200.

You can always stitch to make wide angle, kinda hard to crop in enough to simulate 200mm focal length.

I have never "missed" the gap between 20 and 45.

18. What type of images do you plan to capture on your backpacking trip?

Heading off in a few days for a few weeks windsurfing. Packing the GF-1 + 20mm for the evenings & day trips. 45-200mm primarily for shooting hopefully some images of the current crop of top freestyle windsurfers. Repeat visit to this area. So I have an idea of what lens would work the best. In the 35mm gear era the pack lighter backpacking trips were limited to the 28-70mm Vivitar Series 1 monster. Was a good compromise for the images I took. If limited to a single lens I would pack the 14-45mm. Even with the 2 lens chosen for this trip there will probably be a few missed potential images. Life!

19. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    Take both man - they're really not that big!

For travel I have the 9-18, 14-150 and the 20. Such a lot easier compared to my old Canon setup.

20. Rob1975

Rob1975 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 31, 2010
    This is a crazy idea... pick up a panny 14mm and take that along with the 20. 2 pancake lenses would take up next to no space, and would allow for nice landscape shots as well as low light work. Unless you're into photographing wildlife, I would leave the 14-45 home.
    If you are going to stick with lenses you already own, I would go with the 9-18mm...