Travel Tripod Recommendation ~$60

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by damnilocano, May 9, 2016.

1. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Have a week trip to Hawaii coming up next week and wanted some recommendations for travel tripods in the $60 range. I already have a heavy duty one but don't want to bring it.

Not really looking to spend as much. The only reason why I'm looking for one is because of the last time I handed my GX7 to someone to take our picture, I didn't like the result. We plan on going out and doing more in nature this time around (this time will be our 3rd, with kids).

Found these:
    1. Manfrotto Compact Light Aluminum Tripod for $45 used at BH- max height 52" and 2lbs but 15.7" folded.
    2. Slik Sprint Mini II GM Tripod $60 new at BH- max height 43" but 1.7lbs and 13.8" folded.

2. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    SIRUI T-005KX + C-10X or something else from Siriu?
    No prices as I'm in Sweden.

/Bosse

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Slik is pretty good as legs but I have to say that the ball head and plate are somewhat sub par... the ball is somewhat fiddly to adjust and over a very long time the cork topped plate will wear and no longer provide enough friction to keep the camera secure from rotation if your camera is in the vertical orientation.

Some slippage is a pretty common issue with most plates though, that's why I prefer an Arca Swiss system that mates directly with a camera base plate. I liked the legs on the Slik but replaced the head with an Arca Swiss compatible Sirui G-10X, it required a 1/4" to 3/8" adapter between the two.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Have you tried the Panasonic app? You can have someone hold the camera while you see the framing on your phone, then you can trigger the shot. The app is a little slow to respond but it should do the job.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    Do you really need a full height tripod?

For my travels, I've found that my Trek-tech T'pod is more than enough for my needs, plus, it's super sturdy and amazingly compact. I had my full-4/3 Olympus E3 with monster Sigma 10-20 on it with no issues.

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I would go with the original Ultrapod I UltraPod™ I for $14, which I used for years and years.
    p-up1.

Or go BIG and get the RRS TFA-01 with BH-25 RRS - TFA-01 Pro-Pkg . I upgraded to this and its super amazing.
    TFA-01-Tripod-with-BH-25-Pro-Ballhead.main-1.

-Joe

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it is just a selfie tripod, then I don't think it matters much. Those are not likely to be long exposures, nor will you be using massive telephotos requiring strong support. I'd be fine using a $20 ebay cheapie for that purpose.

8. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

+1 for the ultrapod - I've got one that lives in my bag and never gets left behind...

Gorillapods or some of Joby's different flexible clamps etc could be a good solution too...

9. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    My personal recommendation is for the Joby Gorillapod Hybrid. I take it with me whenever I'm travelling because I can't imagine lugging around a tripod that weighs significantly more than my entire kit (i.e. any full-size tripod), and the tiny size and extreme flexibility of the Joby works well for me. It worked great for long-exposure photography in the evenings and at night, certainly couldn't attribute any camera-shake to the tripod even with 30s exposures. It's super cheap and comes with a built-in ballhead and even a little QR plate that can be tightened with a coin.

The primary disadvantage is that you need to find something tall enough to put it on or wrap it around if you want a standard-height shot. But the flexy legs make that much, much easier than with any traditional table-top tripod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    If you don't need a high viewpoint, or can find something to rest it on, a pocket tripod like those mentioned or an Ultrapod 2 (which I have) should be fine.

If you need something taller, the MeFoto Daytrip is worth considering, albeit a bit more than $60. It'd also be good for macro and flower photography. MeFOTO DayTrip Mini Tripod Kits

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I've been eyeing off one of these for a while... :thumbup:

13. dragonmate

dragonmate New to Mu-43

Apr 21, 2014
    Polaroid PLTRI42 42" Travel Tripod with Panhead. Not sure if this will hold your GX7 but it's small enough to fit in my belt bag, and tall enough to take decent souvenir photos.

14. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I've tried the panasonic app and it has a limited range. I've used it at a family photo shoot.

I ended up going with the Slik, from BH, mainly because it was free expedited shipping. We leave this Sunday and it's supposed to be delivered today.

Kinda wish i went with the Polaroid PLTRI42 recommendation for the price and amounts of times I'll use it.

15. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Have a great trip! You'll use it for those gorgeous sunsets on the beach. :)

I think the Slik was a better choice than the Polaroid. I don't have any experience with the Polaroid, but I had a Slik Pro 330EZ which I used with my Canon DSLR. I replaced it with a MeFoto Roadtrip when I switched to M43, and it is very nice but the Slik was bigger and more solid. Kinda regret selling the Slik.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  16. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    I have 7 tripods I've grown through thoughout the years. I carry-on my cameras on Regional Jets so weight is not the issue, size is. Here's what I'm happiest with

Tripod/monopod
    1) Dolica TX570DS Ultra Compact Tripod
    57" extended, 12.5" folded, one leg converts to monopod.
    Amazon.com : Dolica TX570DS Ultra Compact Tripod with Professional Ball Head and Built-In Monopod (Black) : Camera & Photo

For places that don't allow tripods
    2) Desmond Table Top Flat Pod / Tripod Ball Head 3/8" Stud Mini Low Photo Support
    Desmond Table Top Flat Pod / Tripod Ball Head 3/8" Stud Mini Low Photo Support
    add a ball head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This tripod is on clearance for $20 at Target right now.

18. System13

System13 Mu-43 Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Wisconsin USA
    JR
    It's a good tripod and one of the seven I've tried.
    With the maximum outside length of a Cary-on being 22" and the outside length of a personal bag being 17" inside length (length - thickness of sides x2 - thickness of bumpers or re-inforcements - height of wheels if any) of 20" and 15" respectively, I've found the Manfrotto a tight fit unless you remove the head for transport. If you're thinking carry-on and you're thinking travel stay below 15". I work at an airport and see this all the time.

19. damnilocano

damnilocano Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 16, 2013
    Back from my trip and the $60 was worth it! In the first 5 days of the trip, I used it once during a hike to a waterfall. Got some groans because it took a while to setup the tripod and put the remote on. On the second to last day, all we did was take pictures at different spots and the tripod worked out great! I was a little worried since it was super windy but we just set out bags one two of the three legs of the tripod.

Size wise, it fit perfectly under the flap of my timbuk2 snoop XS bag. I didn't really notice it while carrying a GX7 with Pan 35-100mm, Oly 45mm, and wireless remote. My sister in law got to use my GX1 and Oly 25mm.

Pictures turned out great but I do need to learn how to take master sunsets and people. And, if you have kids that don't cooperate while taking pictures (my 6 yr old lost his shit after 30 mins), let them take the pictures. He had a blast taking actions shots of himself, his brother, and cousin, with the remote!

• Like Like x 1
  20. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Wow, that's cool! Thanks for the tip. :)