Travel/Photography in Lima

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
My wife and I are going to be spending a week in Lima, Peru in April. Several areas for discussion:

1. Any tips/ideas for places to visit, things to do, great spots for photos, etc? Our plan is experience the city with a relatively relaxed itinerary; looks like there's lots of interesting things to do, so any info/opinions are appreciated.

2. Any thoughts on what gear to bring/not-bring? I like to photograph a bit of everything: architecture, portraiture, food, whatever strikes the eye. Available options are in my signature. I could potentially scrape a few nickels together for photography equipment between now and the trip. What's one lens you'd add to my kit with this trip in mind? Price not more than a couple hundred US (I don't mind buying used). I was thinking it might be fun to try out the Panasonic 12-32mm pancake.

Last edited:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Never been to Lima, but based on your gear list in your sig, you seem to have a wide range of focal lengths covered. The 14/25/45 will make for a nice light evening kit.

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The city center is the most interesting, with interesting architecture, historic buildings etc. Lots of markets everywhere.

I really didn’t find much use for the ultra wide, a standard zoom works well.

Be aware of your surroundings, as snatch and grab is a issue in many places, especially the area around the airport, we were told to not even keep bags on our lap, but hidden.

Otherwise, look at day trips out of the city.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Yeah, I think Lima is probably a hotspot for snatch-and-grab, so I wouldn't bring too much gear and even less for photo excursions. I'm sure most of the city is pretty safe, but it's probably hard to know just what is safe and what is not as a newcomer.

My uncle and his family live in Peru as missionaries (he is a seminary professor in Trujillo) and I remember my cousin describing a lot of things. Peru is a lovely country with lovely people, but there are some unscrupulous folks in the more crowded areas. There is a ton of terrific food there! I've never gone but always wanted to.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
I spent a couple of days in Lima as part of a tour of Peru 5 years ago. We stayed in Miraflores which I'd say was very safe. It's about 20 minutes out of Lima along Lima's beach suburbs. We also ventured out to Baranco, which has a slight mediterranean feel and is the artsy side of lima. We only went to one museum, but we couldn't take photo's so the name and purpose now escapes me.

In Lima the usual morning day trip is to get a guided tour of St Francis Churg (and underground tombs) and end in time for the changing of the guard at 11:45 in the adjacent Presidential Palace. The church is quiet impressive.

I'm sure there's a lot more there than I could have experienced had I stayed longer. Usual precautions apply - don't wear flashy clothes/valuables etc.

I travelled low key with my E-PL5 at the time the rock 7.5mm, P20, O45 and the 14-42mm kit lens. I left the O45 in my bag most times, and my best shots were the ones with the P20. The fisheye was fun to use inside the church.

hazwing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Food in Lima was great! There were some great restaurants when we went (6 years ago). Otherwise I didn't think Lima itself stood out to me too much. Cusco is quite a pretty town and access to inca trail/machu picchu

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom