Travel Photographer of the Year

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by QualityBuiltIn, Dec 18, 2012.

1. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Congratulations to UK photographer Craig Easton on winning Travel Photographer of the Year.

British photographer wins Travel Photographer of the Year 2012 title [GALLERY] - British Journal of Photography

But what the F**k did the judges see in the winning picture? That would have quickly been deleted from my iPhoto.

There are so many things that I just don't 'get': mobile phones (when I'm out, I'm out - leave me alone. and I have landline at work and at home), The Sun, Strictly Come Dancing (FFS that was over when ration books ended), I'm a Celebrity (oh no you're not), Britain/ America's Got Talent (really?), and what photo judges see in pictures I'd delete.

Genuine congratulations to the winner but I do wish I could 'see' the talent because I know I'm missing something great.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    It's a good picture. Conveys a consistant mood, lets you linger around in the murky details of the backround subjects. The problem is we don't get to see the rest of the images they used. It seems to be a judging of a portfolio.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Wow I love that silhouette.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hahhahhahaaah ..no comments :wink:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, the award is sponsored by Cutty Sark...maybe they had a taste testing before the judging? :biggrin:.

The photo may look totally different in a large print than it does on my laptop screen.

Then again, what I know about art is pretty much limited to Art Carney

Art Carney - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so I'm really, truly not qualified to judge.

I'm with you, though - at first glance, looking at a laptop screen version, the photo really doesn't grab me.

Regards,

Jim

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Usually I can get a sense of what the judges see in a shot, but this is a real head-scratcher. :biggrin:

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    yup dont get the winning image but sure there must be something we are not looking cause there is a two step to that photo, first the photographer picked that one and submitted it then a bunch of judges loved it. so there must be something we are not getting at 500px wide.

theres some really nice winners nonetheless!. would love to participate hopefully next year.