1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Travel narrative photo blogs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JohnKendrick, Jun 25, 2010.

1. JohnKendrick

JohnKendrick Mu-43 Regular

I'm not certain where this topic belongs. I'll start it here and someone can move it to its proper location.

I'm looking for several options to create travel blogs. Aperture has something called a web journal as an option. I know nothing about it; only read about it in a manual. But it looks to be a version of what I'm looking for. Something in which I can record a narrative of a trip with annotations for selected photos, divided into sections of the trip. Eventually between one and two hundred photos.

The photo blogging themes in WordPress look to be of some help as well.

The traditional photo websites like Flickr, Shutterfly, SmugMug, etc. are best meant for simply displaying photos; not for telling a story of a trip.

Are there comparable sites for story telling with photos?

Thanks in advance for any help.

John

• Like Like x 1
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well, you could very easily use the mu-43.com blogs: Micro Four Thirds User Forum - Blogs

One of our members used it for his journey through China:Micro Four Thirds User Forum - BlairMacKay Take a look at his and see what you think. It was great for us and his friends and family could also monitor it.:smile:

P.S. I did move this into the Open Forum where you'll get more replies, as the Help and Feedback forum is basically all about this site.

3. JohnKendrick

Thanks for the quick help, BBW. I've looked over your suggestions on the mu-43.com site. Not quite what I'm looking for.

John

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

No problem, John. I hope that now that you're in this forum you'll get some other more helpful responses. I'm just not knowledgeable enough about the different blogging sites, but I know there are quite a few out there.

Wherever you end up, I hope you'll share your link here with us - if it is appropriate.:smile: If not, I completely understand but I do hope you'll post a few photos.:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnKendrick

A bit more detail.

I'm going to work on a separate WordPress.com photoblog which opens with a Google map of France (the location of this trip), one in which you can place flags on locations. I don't know if those can be clickable, but, if so, they would then be linked to the narratives and photos of specific places. I assume that's one of the capabilities of Aperture if the camera has GPS. Ours don't--Panasonic GH1 and Canon G11.

John

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    John;

Check these out for ideas, all google.com hosted (therefore totally inter-linkable throughout their services)...

Zionsville West Middle School Bands: Cedar Point Trip Blog

https://sites.google.com/site/focmissiontrip/

Google LatLong: Plan a trip in one click

Arizona Hiking Trip | Google Earth Blog

ez-trip - Project Hosting on Google Code

... and on and on and on and on....

They don't have to be physical trips either, but days trips across some metaphysical/virtual time/space compendium too, if one was clever enough to set it up, like the Daily Trip Through My Garden in Wonderland or something.

Good thing Michael Jackson never figgered this one out, with that little point and shoot of his.

Bokeh Diem

• Like Like x 2
  7. JohnKendrick

Just clicked through those photo travel blogs. Terrific stuff. And thanks.

My next step is to see if I can find Google maps in which the locational flags are clickable, linked to pages of photos and text from those specific locations.